Victoria-Fraserview

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Kanzan - Victoria-Fraserview, Argyle from E. 37th to 47th Ave

Here's the map.
    45-KanzanArgyle.gif

2. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm sorry, Kanzans on Argyle St. are between 47 and 37, not 49 and 39.
    Now I checked both side. There are a row of green trees between 49 and 47.

3. wcutler

Two locations to look out for toward the end of April next year:

• Kanzans (I think) on Harrison Drive, which parallels Elliott and SE Marine Dr.
    • Shirofugens, one old one on each end of the block on 48th east of Victoria. These still have blossoms on June 9, 2009.

4. wcutler

First posting 2010

Since no-one has posted here since last year, it turns out the last two postings should be right up to date! You can check out those 'Kanzan' locations now, and the 'Shirofugen' should be starting to open.

One of Joseph Lin's scouts put us onto this private tree on the south side of 54th at Wales, west of Vivian. It's past prime, but still worth a look. I've guessed that it's 'Ito-kukuri'.

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

Two 'Kiku-shidare-zakura' in the same place is practically a grove! These private trees are on Prestwick at Upland.

Attached Files:

6. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Five Shirofugens finishing their bloom April 24, 2010 along E. 48 Avenue, east of Victoria, heading towards Nanaimo street.

Attached Files:

7. Anne Eng

Nine young Tai Hakus on the grounds of Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith Elementary on the north side of E. 54th Avenue, just west of Elliott Street, April 26, 2011.

At the east side of the school, a young Shirotae is finishing its bloom in front of two expecting Kanzans.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  8. Anne Eng

For a Takasago, it's looking good, at the west side of Argyle, north of E. 55th, on April 26, 2011.

Attached Files:

9. wcutler

Gosh, the last post in this neighbourhood was in 2011. This is a single private 'Akebono' added to the map by Aska Mokedosaurus, who says she's "glad that this tree is on the map, so other people can find this tree and enjoy it as well!". It's on the north side of Prestwick, between Upland and Nassau.

10. Anne Eng

Somei Yoshinos on the southside of E. 41 and Stirling (between Nanaimo and Gladstone) are in full bloom on April 04, 2013.

Attached Files:

11. Anne Eng

The six Ichiyo trees on the west side of Vivian Drive, north of Brightwood Place are starting their bloom, with one tree much more advanced than the others, on April 13, 2013.

The first posting said they were on the east side of Vivian, making them part of Killarney neighbourhood as per posting here : http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showpost.php?p=195266&postcount=68

However, since the trees are on the west side, they would appear to be part of Victoria-Fraserview, which is why I've posted them here. Especially since they are across the street from the Fraserview Golf Course area.

Attached Files:

12. Anne Eng

Two new Shirotae trees planted in 2009 beside the mature Ichiyo trees at the same NW corner of Vivian and Brightwood are past peak bloom on April 13, 2013 while the Ichiyo trees are just starting.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

Two beautiful old 'Ichiyo', well past peak bloom, on the east side of St Margarets between 41st and 45th (it's sort-of one block; the trees are at what might be 44th and 45th - 5950 and 5966).

The back story: In March, I checked the city's tree list to see if there might be some early-blooming cherries in this neighbourhood. This street was listed as having two 'Whitcomb' cherries. What I saw were clearly not 'Whitcomb', so I guessed 'Ichiyo' and then didn't make it back on time to see them before today. The flowers are mostly quite white now, except for some that are pink, and I couldn't tell if the pink ones hadn't faded yet, or if maybe they had started lighter (like 'Ukon') and were going pink. Fortunately, a neighbourhood person walked by and told me they had started pink; she then said yes to my suggestion of "peachy" coloured. They're much too white to have been 'Kanzan', so I'm going with 'Ichiyo'. Maybe we can get a better photo next year.

I like that there are two of them. Except for two full blocks of this cultivar, all the ones I know were planted in pairs.

Attached Files:

14. tao

tao Active Member

Re: Killarney

I noticed Harrison Drive between Ancaster Crescent and Burquitlam Drive is lined with cherry trees (I am not sure about the cultivar) on both sides of the road. They were in full bloom on April 22 when I took the photos.

Attached Files:

15. wcutler

'Kanzan' cherries. Thanks for the posting and adding them to the map. I made them festival favourites.

16. tao

tao Active Member

There is a young tree at the front entrance of David Oppenheimer Elementary School on Scarboro between Muirfield Drive and Nanaimo Street. I am not sure what the cultivar is, but it has both white and pink flowers. The flowers didn't stay on the tree for long, as every student like to shake the branches when they past under the tree.

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

That's funny. At least they notice it. It's 'Shiro-fugen'. The flowers start white and turn pink, but a few new flowers open in May and even in June, so the white ones are new ones.

18. tao

tao Active Member

Just noticed a cherry tree in between two big plum trees on the east side of the front entrance of David Oppenheimer Elementary School. I always thought it was a plum tree as there are no horizontal lines on the bark, but when I took a closer look at the flowers, it looks more like a cherry, hope I am right.

I am not sure if it's an Accolade, because the colour seems to be a deeper pink than other photos I have seen. But that's the closest one I can find from the list.

Attached Files:

19. wcutler

I'm sorry, Tao, but it's the tricky double plum, a blireiana hybrid. In your third photo in the upper right, you can see some that are single flowers, not in an inflorescence or bunch. And the buds are round, and there are leaves, though soon, cherries will start coming out with leaves too. The unopened leaves are rolled, though, like little cigars. Cherry leaves unfold, like when you hold your hands together and then open them.

Check out the 'Accolade' trees on Nanaimo and 48th-49th (and post a nice photo of the trees!). They should be looking good now.

20. tao

tao Active Member

Sorry for the mistake. So to make up, I have gone to take photos of the Accolades on Nanaimo Street between E. 48th and E. 49th. I have also found another Accolade (I think) which I will show in another post.

The trees on the west side of Nanaimo between 48th and 49th are at varying stages of bloom. The north-most tree has not really opened up yet (first photo). But the second tree is very nice, as can be seen in the second to fourth photo. The fifth photo is a view of the trees (excluding the one closest to 49th Ave) with the camera facing north.

The tree closest to E. 49th Ave is smaller than the others and so not as beautiful in photographs, it is at full bloom.

Attached Files:

21. tao

tao Active Member

There is a young tree (I think it's an Accolade) on the north side of Bonaccord Drive near the junction at Harrison Drive. It is not blooming yet, but should start very soon.

Attached Files:

22. Anne Eng

The Somei-Yoshino trees on the south side of E. 41st and Stirling (between Victoria and Nanaimo) are in various stages of bloom at March 8, 2015.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

Sorry, I thought I replied to this. This is 'Akebono'. Count the petals - five and occasionally an extra half-petal or two for 'Akebono', more like 12-14 for the double 'Accolade' flowers.

Thanks for posting this. It helps to be able to see how blooming is coming along in the neighbourhoods.

24. tao

tao Active Member

Yes, the tree on Bonaccord at Harrison is indeed an Akebono. I went to take a look again today, and found another young tree on the other side of Harrison (i.e. on the east side of Harrison, near the fork at Bonaccord).

Walking further downhill (south) on Harrison to the intersection with a lane, on the same east side of the road is a slightly more mature tree. It looks like an Akebono also. And across the lane, there is a tree that has not bloom yet (a Kanzan?), but there are shoots of another type of cherry growing right beside it. I don't know what cultivar it is, I took four pictures hopefully that gives enough clue for others to tell.

Attached Files:

25. tao

tao Active Member

These were taken last week, but I didn't have time to post until now.

The Beni-shidare on Elliot near Ancaster was starting to bloom.

And on the south side of Rosedale, near Elliot, there is a cherry tree in the backyard, it has some branches that hung outside the fence. I don't know what cultivar it is. It was rather hard to see clearly, there seemed to be something that was growing and vining around the cherry tree trunk, the tree didn't have a lot of flowers, but it looked like it was in full bloom already.

Further west on Burquitlam at Bonaccord, there is a very nice tree in the front yard of a house, the branches hangs down like a willow.

Attached Files: