Grandview-Woodland

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Laura Blumenthal, Mar 17, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

A nice block and a bit of 'Akebono' trees on the west side of Woodland, full block from 7th to 8th, and a couple of trees from 8th to Broadway. This street seems to be also called "Mosaic Bikeway" on the map. I'm not sure if that's because of the decorated traffic circles or not.

Attached Files:

2. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Accolades in bloom on Charles Street, between Garden and Lakewood on March 3, 2013. Eight trees on the north side of Charles, west of Garden; three trees on the south side of Charles at Lakewood.

Attached Files:

3. Anne Eng

Fourteen Whitcombs by McSpadden Park, west side of Victoria at E. 5th Avenue in full bloom on March 11, 2013. Some blossoms have started to fall.

Attached Files:

4. Anne Eng

Two Fudan-zakuras are blooming with a lone Accolade on the west side of Nanaimo, south of Parker, March 18, 2013. The larger, older Fudan looks to be in better shape than the even older Fudan across the street on the east side of Nanaimo (Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhood).

Attached Files:

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Wow! Did we know there were three Fudan-zakura?

6. wcutler

Sort-of. I mentioned these two last year, but called them pathetic-looking and didn't post any photo, whereas Anne thought one of them looked better today than the one across the street. And I didn't have these two on the map (different neighbourhood from across the street), again, because I thought they'd have been removed before I got them on the map. I'll add them. Sorry.

7. wcutler

Neither tree in the very first posting in this thread seems to exist any more (perhaps this was the one on Kitchener near Woodland),
    20130318_KitchenerWoodland_WasACherry_Cutler_P1400943.jpg

so this sweet little 'Accolade' will have to do for a replacement in the area. It's on William near Rose St.
    20130318_WilliamRose_Accolade_Cutler_P1400962.jpg 20130318_WilliamRose_Accolade_Cutler_P1400965.jpg

I'd never heard of Rose St, but google maps shows it as having been home to the Happy Garden Bed & Breakfast, in front of which is a very impressive old willow.
    20130318_WilliamRose_Accolade_Cutler_P1400960.jpg 20130318_RoseNapier_LargeWillow_Cutler_P1400953.jpg 20130318_RoseNapier_LargeWillow_Cutler_P1400958.jpg

8. callen

callen New Member

This is my first attempt to post, so I apologize if it isn't quite up to standard. The photos, which I took this morning, are of a solitary cherry tree on the east side of Templeton School, in the parking lot between the school and Templeton pool. Referring to Douglas' book, I think it it might be 'Somei-Yoshino'? It's larger than it looks - I stood on a concrete planter to take the photo.

Attached Files:

9. Anne Eng

Snofozam.

10. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a Pendula - shidare zakura to me.

11. Anne Eng

Sorry, it is Shidare sakura. I was posting both Snofozam and Shidare zakura to Kensington and got the wires crossed.

12. callen

callen New Member

I noticed a row of newly-planted trees on Templeton between Venables and Adanac – there are four of them, still with the nursery tags on them so I know they are 'Rancho'.

Also a single white-flowering tree (I'm too new at this to hazard a guess at which cultivar) on the east side of Templeton School, between two huge cedars. It looks as though it lost half its crown at some early stage of its life.

Attached Files:

13. wcutler

The white flowers are 'Shirotae'. They should be fragrant, though that's more noticeable on larger trees or where there are several of them.

14. callen

callen New Member

Wendy asked me to check on these trees on Lakewood between 5th and 6th Ave. There are six on the west side of the street, but only three on the east, probably because of massive trees on the adjoining property.

Attached Files:

15. callen

callen New Member

I'm a bit slow to post these, taken a week ago. Sorry. The first is a short block of seven 'Kanzan' on Lakewood between Adanac and Venables. The city removed an 8th tree earlier this year.

The other shots are of the rows of 'Kanzan' on Parker St between Victoria and Commercial Drives,looking west and east. They have been posted in previous years, I think, but were so stunning last week, I thought they were worth recording again. You can see one white-flowered specimen that I presume is a reversion to P. avium rootstock? This is also beginning to occur on another tree further up the row.

Attached Files:

16. Anne Eng

The trees of 'Kiku-zakura' along Williams Street, east of Lakewood, are in bloom on May 1, 2013.

Attached Files:

17. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

McLean Drive Kanzan+

At least 5 blocks of McLean Dr. from Grant St. north plus 2 blocks west on Grant filled with Kanzans (and at the intersection a nicely blossoming tree of white blossoms)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  18. wcutler

The white one probably started life as 'Kanzan' too. Now it's just the P. avium rootstock. Note the curled back sepals that you show in the photo.

19. wcutler

Look at the flowers in Anne's photos of 'Kiku-zakura' from May 1 - almost white around the outsides and deep pink to red in the centres where the second-story flowers are starting to open. Look at the flowers in my photo from today - deep pink around the outsides, and white on the insides. That's maybe an even more extreme makeover than what happens with 'Shirofugen'. These trees have hardly started to drop any flowers yet, and they are very densely covered.
    20140507_WilliamLakewood_Kiku-zakura_Cutler_P1060338.jpg 20140507_WilliamLakewood_Kiku-zakura_Cutler_P1060344.jpg

Speaking of 'Shirofugen',
    If you looked at just the trees today, you'd think they were still fully in bloom, maybe ready to start losing flowers. If you looked at the ground today, you'd think all the flowers must surely be gone. The ground is covered, the trees are covered. It's very showy around here.
    20140507_SalsburyAdanac_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1060374.jpg 20140507_SalsburyAdanac_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1060381.jpg

20. Anne Eng

McSpadden Park's fourteen Whitcombs on the west side of Victoria Drive at E. 5th Avenue are in full bloom on February 13, 2015.

Attached Files:

21. jtremblay

jtremblay Active Member

Two Accolade in front of a private residence on Broadway (corner of McLean Drive). The trees are behind a fence, but low hanging branches are accessible from the sidewalk for close-ups.
    20150218_broadwaymaclean_accolade_tremblay_IMG_4789_1.jpg 20150218_broadwaymaclean_accolade_tremblay_IMG_4780_1.jpg 20150218_broadwaymaclean_accolade_tremblay_IMG_4765_1.jpg

22. Anne Eng

The Accolades on both sides of Charles Street, westward from Templeton (across from Lord Nelson School) are in peak bloom and already shedding blossoms on the ground, at February 21, 2015.

Attached Files:

23. Anne Eng

Accolade and two Fudan-zakura trees on the west side of Nanaimo at Parker, are in bloom at February 21, 2015.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

I think there are more buds than open flowers on both these trees. To call that Fudan-zakura in bloom when it looks this pathetic isn't giving it a fair chance! I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt. Except the little one - I think that's a goner. Nice blossom photos, though!

25. Anne Eng

Rancho trees starting their bloom on Victoria Drive, north of Broadway, at March 13, 2015.

Attached Files: