West End / Stanley Park

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Took some shots of the Nelson & Bute 'Whitcomb' - so pretty today, too bad the cold is coming tonight...

I've attached 6 shots, the rest can be found on my flickr account.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The 'Whitcomb' seem to be open in the minipark at Nicola and Pendrell, but they're not very exciting this year. The blossoms in the tree seem to be open or opening, but there's lots of blossom snow on the ground, so the trees are never going to get a good blossom cover.

Attached Files:

3. wcutler

Found a new 'Whitcomb' today; actually an old 'Whitcomb' and not in very good shape either, but it's in Stanley Park across the road (to the east) from the northeast corner of the golf course, and the splash of pink was very exciting.

The other photo is the group of 'Whitcomb' trees behind the high-rise at Gilford and Pendrell, posted earlier, but definitely all in bloom now.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

I'm a bit lost in describing these now. We're calling our pendula trees 'Beni-shidare', but three of the single pendula trees here are all a bit different from each other. Are they all 'Beni-shidare'? There are photos of them in posting #125 and earlier.

Anyway, they have a lot of open blossoms, should be in bloom within the week. The second photo is of the fourth tree in the set, a 'Yae-beni-shidare' (double blossoms). This should be maybe a week later in blooming.

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

These 'Accolade' at the Aquatic Centre and across the street are almost in full bloom. The ones over at Chilco mini-park seem about a week behind these.

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

I can't remember if I guessed this was 'Pandora' last year (or did Douglas Justice tell me that one year?), but I was very excited to see that it's out at 'Pandora' time this year.
    20110329_ParkOffNelson_Pandora_Cutler_P1090127.jpg 20110329_ParkOffNelson_Pandora_Cutler_P1090129.jpg

I just discovered this old 'Accolade' on the golf course across from Ceperley Meadow.
    20110329_GolfCourseCeperley_Accolade_Cutler_P1090107.jpg 20110329_GolfCourseCeperley_Accolade_Cutler_P1090108.jpg

People in my building sent me to identify the two 'Whitcomb' trees on the NW corner of the golf course, not far from one of the Birch Bark Cherries outside the course.
    20110329_ColfCourseNW_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1090124.jpg 20110329_ColfCourseNW_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1090126.jpg

7. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Re: West End / Stanley Park--'Pandora'

Wendy, where is this 'Pandora' located in Stanley Park? Thanks.

8. wcutler

Re: West End / Stanley Park--'Pandora'

It's just down from the sign shown in posting #133 - follow Nelson St into the park, down the path. It's visible there at the edge of the park. Maybe you can get a nice clear photo of the sepals (ha-ha, we need Douglas's ladder again).

9. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Sorry for being so late in posting these. I didn't get many good pics of the Chilco mini-park. Just 2 that were taken on March 5. They were very sparse and a lot of blossom were brown like this one.

The ones on Nelson and Chilco fared much better, but were only budding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  10. wcutler

Out now in the West End/Stanley Park are, in order of appearance, 'Accolade', 'Pandora', 'Beni-shidare', 'Somei-yoshino', 'Akebono', 'Umineko', 'Spire', 'Rancho' and probably 'Yae-beni-shidare'. Coming in the next four-five days are 'Takasago', 'Mikuruma-gaeshi' and 'Shirotae'. I might have forgotten something.

These 'Akebono' on Pendrell west of Thurlow have been reported before, but I don't think I realized that in addition to the three on the side of the building, there were two more in the back. 'Akebono' have only just opened up, but these are already dropping lots of blossoms.
    20110402_PendrellThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090395.jpg 20110402_PendrellThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090399.jpg 20110402_PendrellThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090403.jpg

Continuing on the walkway between the buildings over to Comox and into that park, one of these three young 'Akebono' seems to be doing considerably better than the other two. I did a little staminode study.
    20110402_ComoxThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090405.jpg 20110402_ComoxThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090413.jpg 20110402_ComoxThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090414.jpg 20110402_ComoxThurlow_Akebono_Cutler_P1090421.jpg

11. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Tagasago
    We saw that a few Tagasago trees have begun to bloom on the streets of West End-such as Comox, Jervis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  12. wcutler

This is such a great 'Shirotae' at the West End Community Centre - even the people in my building's 4 o'clock club have noticed it. It seems to me to be on its own roots, not that I get that correct very often.
    20110408_WECC_Shirotae_Cutler_P1090767.jpg 20110408_WECC_Shirotae_Cutler_P1090770.jpg

'Shirotae' in Stanley Park were not in bloom yesterday, including the one I just identified at the foot of Comox. That has just enough open blossoms for me to identify it.

13. wcutler

You can see see two 'Rancho' on the lagoon side of the tennis courts. To the left of the willows, looking a bit yellowish, are the two 'Shirotae', considerably more in bloom than three days ago, probably worth seeing by the time you read this. The ones over at the Japanese memorial are a little behind these, maybe 5 or 10 percent open. Above or between the 'Shirotae' is a 'Somei-yoshino'.
    20110410_LagoonDr_Rancho_Cutler_P1090784.jpg

It was cold and wet for Bill Stephen's Tree Talk and Walk today. But the 'Akebono' at the Rose Garden showed up. Bill said they would; I have to admit I was a doubter. Bill is the city's chief arborist - maybe the trees talk to him.
    The matching umbrella people didn't know each other.
    20110410_SPRoseGdn_Akebono_Cutler_P1090800.jpg

We took shelter under some sort of structure at Malkin Bowl, to talk about the two 'Rancho' cherries. That's Bill Stephen in the photo.
    20110410_SPMalkinBowl_Rancho_Cutler_P1090805.jpg

I was so cold I joined the Aquarium to warm up in the Amazon room, as suggested by a walk participant who works there. It was a great idea. Besides thawing out, I got to notice that the two 'Shirotae' in the yard there have not started blooming at all, and I found the grove of Dawn Redwoods outside the former zoo area.

14. stoneangel

I was surprised to see that everything is blooming at once. Makes my job easy. So here are some blossoms I saw today. The first tree and bloom is a Takasago.
    20110408_Denman:Comox_Jody Currie_DSCN1485.jpg 20110408_Denman:Comox_Jody Currie_DSCN1487.jpg

This small tree and blossom are Akebono. It's really filled out this year.
    20110408_1846 Denman:Comox_Jody Currie_DSCN1487.jpg 20110408_1846 Denman:Comox_Jody Currie_DSCN1487-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. stoneangel

Walking toward the park on the 1800 block on Comox is a massive, white Sweet Cherry. I didn't get very good pictures of the blossoms last year, so here are some. The tree itself is so massive and sparse that it's difficult to get a good photo.

16. stoneangel

Crossing Guilford on Comox onto the 1900 block you'll see a Sendai-shidare in front of the Eagle Crest apartments.
    20110412_Guilford:Comox_Sendai-shidare_Jody Currie_DSCN1515.jpg 20110412_Guilford:Comox_Sendai-shidare_Jody Currie_DSCN1512.jpg

I notice that the blossoms are not only notched in the center, but the petals are quite ragged.
    20110412_Guilford:Comox_Sendai-shidare_Jody Currie_DSCN1513.jpg 20110412_Guilford:Comox_Sendai-shidare_Jody Currie_DSCN1514.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  17. stoneangel

Another Sendai-shidare, a much debated tree from last year. It's really grown. I think Wendy mentioned last year that this tree is 50 years old. It's beside a Heritage home in the 1900 block of Comox.

18. stoneangel

All the cherries in the Chilco mini-park are finished now. Between the mini-park and Neson Street on Chilco is a very fragrant Shirotae. I haven't been able to do it justice and only have some poor shots of the blossoms.
    2011_Chilco:Nelson_Shirotae_Jody Currie_DSCN1529.jpg 2011_Chilco:Nelson_Shirotae_Jody Currie_DSCN1534.jpg

At 1010 Chilco (same block as the Shirotae) are about four cherry trees that have finished blossoming. But there is one that is still in blossom. This is an Akebono. it. Also I've taken a shot of this block as I think you can find three varieties of cherry.
    2011_Chilco:Nelson_Jody Currie_DSCN1539.jpg 20110412_Chilco:Nelson_Jody Currie_DSCN1538.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  19. stoneangel

This Akebono tree is in the alley behind 2090 Barclay. Last year I got it as it was starting to bud. Happily, I got it in full blossom this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  20. Chorok Kim

Chorok Kim Member

Downtown

I went on Georgia and Jervis street downtown. Cherry blossoms have already been falling off. I thought this cultivar is the most beautiful I've seen !

20110412_Downtown_Shirotae_Kim_4540.jpg 20110412_Downtown_Shirotae_Kim_4544.jpg 20110412_Downtown_Shirotae_Kim_4545.jpg

21. Chorok Kim

Chorok Kim Member

Re: Downtown

I went on Georgia and Bute to Jervis street downtown.

20110412_Downtown_Akebono_Kim_4552.jpg 20110412_Downtown_Akebono_Kim_4547.jpg 20110412_Downtown_Akebono_Kim_4549.jpg

22. wcutler

Re: Downtown

These are on the south side of Georgia, so we've been posting them (in previous years) in the West End thread. They are 'Shirotae', and there used to be a lot more of them in this planting. I see there are some very young ones in the mix now, that don't seem to be doing all that well.

23. stoneangel

This post covers the small area between Park Drive and the tennis courts. These trees are right on Park Drive near the exit. I tagged them as Akebono but I think they are Somei-Yoshino. I know, I should have gone to the workshop.
    20110412_Park Drive_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1555.jpg 20110412_Park Drive_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1560.jpg

The next tree and blossoms (Akebono) are up toward the dog park.
    2011_Near dog park_Jody Currie_DSCN1572.jpg 20110412_near dog park_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1573.jpg

The next in full blossom shall remain nameless until identified.
    20110412_Nearby Dog park_Jody Currie_DSCN1580.jpg

This one hangs over the pathway in that same little patch. The 2nd photo is the view from the other side. The sign post says, Lagoon Drive and Nelson St.
    2011_above pathway in the same park_Jody Currie_DSCN1582.jpg 20110412_Lagoon Drive:Nelson_Jody Currie_DSCN1587.jpg

This is in the same patch at lagoon Drive and Nelson.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

Stoneangel, the different tree on Chilco and the one on the Barclay lane are 'Akebono'.

I've got an ID now for the tree with the great roots at the edge of the park on Comox, in posting #172. It's 'Shirotae'. No wonder I missed it before. It's competing for attention with a magnolia and a Yama-zakura (third photo). And the blossoms are way up there; I didn't even try to get a blossom photo.

Attached Files:

25. stoneangel

Thanks Wendy. I'll change that
    On the north side of the tennis courts near lagoon Drive is a dark photo. Beside it are the blossoms. There is a drinking fountain nearby.
    20110412_North side of tennis court, blossoms_Jody Currie_DSCN1608.jpg 20110412_North side of tennis courts_Jody Currie_DSCN1604.jpg

This tree is on the eastside park pathway near the Park's offices. It faces the alley behind 2005 Pendrell.
    20110412_Pendrell alley:parks board office_Jody Currie_DSCN1616.jpg

Now on Pendrell we head to Chilco. There are three blocks of 'Mikuruma-gaeshi' trees (to Denman). It's not hard to tell where the graft is on these trees. [edited by wcutler: I changed the ID on these - single blossoms; Pendrell is 'Mikuruma-gaeshi', Comox is 'Takasago'.]
    20110412_Pendrell:Chilco_Takasago_Jody  Currie_DSCN1635.jpg
    2011_Pendrell:Chilco_Takasago_Jody Currie_DSCN1629.jpg 2011_Pendrell:Chilco_Takasago Blossoms_Jody Currie_DSCN1629.jpg

The 'Mikuruma-gaeshi' trees are interspersed with Akebono on Pendrell from the parks office to Denman.
    20110412_Guilford:Pendrell_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1642.jpg 20110412_Guilford:Pendrell_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1643.jpg
    20110412_Guilford:Pendrell_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1646.jpg 20110412_Guilford:Pendrell_Akebono_Jody Currie_DSCN1651.jpg

Lastly, a Somei-Yoshino at 1937 Pendrell.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011