Hastings-Sunrise

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

We've decided to go with Yama-zakura for these. We have a Yama-zakura thread in the Cultivar IDs forum - see posting #4 for a description. [edited by wcutler 20090723: oops, sorry, the jury is still out, according to a note I received form Douglas Justice - Sargentii is back in the running].

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. wcutler

These are leaves from two of the trees on the east end of the block in posting #14, where Joseph posted photos of his unknown single-whites. From what I can see of the leaves on the tree in Killarney Park, the leaves margins look very different from the leaf margins on these trees on Graveley at Kaslo. [edited by wcutler 20090809: see the next posting - the leaf margins don't look different at all! Thanks, Anne.]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Here is the close-up of the leaves from the tree at this location, 2804 Graveley at Kaslo, along with a shot of a tree on E.48 in Killarney Park, both taken on Aug 3, 2009.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

First report 2010

The 'Akebono' block at 6th and Penticton is ready for viewing. This block doesn't get nearly the attention that the Graveley block does (surely also in bloom now, see 2009 photos in posting #16), but it's also spectacular. There's also one Accolade on the block, several young 'Akebono' and some unknowns. There's even something here for fungus fans.
    20100309_6thPenticton_Akebono_Cutler_7632.jpg 20100309_6thPenticton_Akebono_Cutler_7633.jpg 20100309_6thPenticton_Akebono_Cutler_7635.jpg

The 'Schmittii' on 6th between Renfrew and Kaslo are starting to bloom. The blossoms are so small that you never really notice them anyway, so you may as well have a look when you're down the street looking at the 'Akebono' block, as the 13 tall trees on the narrow street are quite impressive. Looking east, the next block of hornbeams makes a nice complement to this row of trees. There's a photo of the blossoms from last year in posting #20.
    20100309_6thRenfrew_Schmittii_Cutler_7607.jpg

5. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

This tree at 1020 Nanaimo (east side of Nanaimo, south of Parker Street) is in full bloom and shedding on March 19, 2011. However, it does not look like any of the early cherries, with its mid-sized, almost white, 5 petaled flowers. Two more trees, not as fully opened, are across on the west side of Nanaimo (in Grandview-Woodland), along with an Accolade.

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

I wonder if they're 'Pandora', just because I know the Kitsilano 'Pandora' are about as far along in blooming.

7. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hi, Ann, I think you found a new kind of cherries in Vancouver. I think it must be Fuyu-zakura in Japan when I saw the pictures. Fuyu means winter in Japanese. Fuyu-zakura is a hybrid of Mame-zakura and blooms twice in Japan. It is not very rare. I posted it several times on the thread of "Cherries in Japan" #11 #15 #58, #60
    I post here some pictures of Fuyu-zakura I think I didn't post.

8. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Re: Hastings-Sunrise-Unknown

I went to see these flowers around 10 am this morning. The shape of the tree is not straight as Pandora. The branches are full of lichen & mosses. Flowers looks like Pandora, but more whitish and crowded. Several nearby trees are Autumnalis Rosea as the last photo.

Attached Files:

9. Joseph Lin

Re: Hastings-Sunrise-Autumnalis

Wendy, have you taken a look at those trees beside and south of the Fudan-zakura? Are they Autumnalis Rosea? Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. wcutler

Yes, I thought they were 'Autumnalis Rosea', Joseph. They seem to run for many blocks along Nanaimo. I think Park Board's Bill Stephen mentioned this cultivar on Nanaimo, but I thought he was talking about north of Hastings, where I didn't find them, and these are south of Hastings down to 1st Ave. Do you remember which block had the ten of them? Was it the block north of Parker?

The blossoms in the second photo might belong to the tree in the third photo.

Attached Files:

11. Joseph Lin

I searched the street view on google map.
    I found the several similar trees nearby.

Two Autumnalis north of the Fudan-zakura on Nanaimo East side the block between Parker & Napier St.

Five possible Autumnalis on Nanaimo East side the block between Napier & William St.

Another possible Autumnalis on Nanaimo East side the block between William & Charles St.

Some of those trees can be Fudan-zakura trees.

We need Anne Eng or nearby scouts to see what kinds of trees south of the Fudan-zakura tree this week, because I didn't have time to see those trees south of the Fudan-zakura tree.

But I will visit them later to see their leaves when I go to see accolade and akebono maybe one week later.

12. kennyc

kennyc Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  13. wcutler

Nothing posted yet, but I drove by the block of 'Akebono' on Graveley tonight and also the Schmitt Cherries on 6th at Renfrew, and they're both in bloom. They're favourites, so I'm going to use previous year photos for the festival website. There are lots of photos here from other years.

14. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

The rain finally let up so I stopped at Graveley & Windermere with my camera on the way to work this morning - took some photos of the 'Akebono' just beautiful right now!

Here's a few photos, Wendy there are more on my flickr account.

Attached Files:

15. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

Here are the 6th & Kaslo 'Schmitt' Cherries, pretty little blossoms.

Wendy - more on my flickr account.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  16. lishirley

lishirley Member

Kamploops and Hastings.

Date of Shooting: April 6, 2011
    Are these Yama Zakura?
    Please let me know.

Attached Files:

17. Joseph Lin

18. wcutler

The tree sure looks a lot like the one we're calling Yama-zakura at 13th and Clark that Anne posted in Kensington-Cedar Cottage, posting #173.

19. Joseph Lin

Re: Hastings-Sunrise--Autumnalis

There are lines of Autumnalis along Nanaimo esp. East side from Broadway to Venable or even north. This one is located at SE corner of Nanaimo & Parker, near 'Fudan-zakura'. There are few small green leaves with semi-double white flowers.

Attached Files:

20. Joseph Lin

Re: Hastings-Sunrise--Fudan-zakura?

This "Fudan-zakura" has more purple green leaves than other Autumnalis trees along Nanaimo St. These are more photos for your indentification to see if this is a new cultivar in Vancouver.

Attached Files:

21. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

On a walk today, spotted these:

On the north side of Wall street, just East of Powell, two Ukons (?):

20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_937.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_938.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_939.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_940.jpg

A little further east, at 2121 Wall Street, a Shirotae on private property:

20110422_2121Wall_Shirotae_Blumenthal_941.jpg 20110422_2121Wall_Shirotae_Blumenthal_942.jpg

And on the south side of Cambridge Street, just east of Kamloops, this tree which really threw me for a loop - if I didn't know better, I would swear it was an Akebono, but all of the other Akebonos in the neighbourhood were done, as they are everywhere else, so what is it?

20110422_CambridgeKamloops_??_Blumenthal_961.jpg 20110422_CambridgeKamloops_??_Blumenthal_962.jpg

Laura 3:)

22. wcutler

You're almost right about all the 'Akebono' around being finished - all but one! This is pretty certainly an 'Akebono', staminodes, hairy stems and all. It gets almost no sunlight, being shaded by the houses, the tall larch and whatever that conifer is in the background.
    20110423_CambridgeKamloops_Akebono_Cutler_P1100572.jpg 20110423_CambridgeKamloops_Akebono_Cutler_P1100564.jpg 20110423_CambridgeKamloops_Akebono_Cutler_P1100562.jpg 20110423_CambridgeKamloops_Akebono_Cutler_P1100571.jpg

And yes, the ones you ID's as 'Ukon' are that. The whole street is 'Kanzan', so I thought the first 'Ukon' I saw was probably a mistake, but then at the other end of the building was another one, in sort of a symmetrical planting, so I guess they knew they were planting it.

23. wcutler

This is almost entirely a posting of trees either long past blooming or not yet in bloom, but they have enough evidence to identify them, and they've never been posted, so maybe someday someone will get good photos of these places.

These Yama-zakura (edited by wcutler 2011jul27: currently ID'd as 'Syodoi' hybrids) are on 6th west of Slocan, the street that has an 'Akebono' display as good as on Gravelely. These have been reported here before, are recorded by the city as P. sargentii. Well, maybe we don't have them right either, but we're calling all these same trees the same thing. We know they're not sargentii anyway. You can see the canopy of 'Akebono' in the background, entirely finished for this year. (Edited by wcutler 2021apr05: we decided on the name Sargent Hybrid, and they show on the map now with this name, as well as in our book).
    20110423_6thSlocan_Yama-zakura_Cutler_P1100517.jpg 20110423_6thSlocan_Yama-zakura_Cutler_P1100518.jpg 20110423_6thSlocan_Yama-zakura_Cutler_P1100519.jpg

2nd east of Slocan has some nice old 'Kanzan' on the north side that should be out next week, and one old Yama-zakura on the south side. There are one young 'Shirotae' and some young 'Akebono' street trees on the block too.
    20110423_2ndSlocan_Kanzan_Cutler_P1100526.jpg 20110423_2ndSlocan_Yama-zakura_Cutler_P1100522.jpg 20110423_2ndSlocan_Yama-zakura_Cutler_P1100525.jpg

On Turner east of Kamloops is a block of about a dozen 'Accolade'. Well, I first thought 'Autumnalis Rosea', but someone on the street said they're very colourful in the spring, and they're a lot larger than the trees on Nanaimo, so I'm going with 'Accolade' for now. I consider this a great find. Maybe someone will come out here next February. Continuing on 2nd across Penticton is a street of 'Kanzan' that will be a good photo op soon.
    20110423_TurnerKamloops_Accolade_Cutler_P1100531.jpg 20110423_TurnerKamloops_Accolade_Cutler_P1100539.jpg 20110423_TurnerPenticton_Kanzan_Cutler_P1100543.jpg

Oxford at Penticton looks like a great 'Kanzan' location. I don't really understand the thinking behind the 'Akebono' mid block, and it doesn't seem like you could make a mistake between those two.
    20110423_OxfordPenticton_Kanzan_Cutler_P1100555.jpg 20110423_OxfordPenticton_Kanzan_Cutler_P1100556.jpg 20110423_OxfordPenticton_Kanzan_Cutler_P1100557.jpg

On Trinity at Penticton are plums for several blocks. Someone on the street sent me up there saying there were great cherries.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  24. lishirley

lishirley Member

mixed tree.
    Please identify

I have found this tree on Franklin and Kamloops.
    There are Kanzans along Franklin but with this tree standing out with both Kanzan and white cherry blossoms.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  25. wcutler

It's just what you said it is. I usually say to trace the limbs with the white blossoms back to their source and you'd see that they come from below the graft line. In this case, the avium rootstock has just about completely taken over, so trace the branch with the 'Kanzan' blossoms back and you'll see that it's all that's left that starts above the graft line.

Soon there will be no trace of the 'Kanzan' at all. That's almost certainly the history of all those single white trees on a pink block.