Grandview-Woodland

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Laura Blumenthal, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rochelle

rochelle Member

Re: Grandview Woodland

First posting 2010

Cherry Blossoms on Victoria Drive at McSpadden park on February 10th 2010. Will try and post more as the blooms continue......Rochelle.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  2. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Templeton Drive's ten Autumnalis Rosea trees (five on each side), between Graveley Street and E. 1 Avenue, are ending their bloom on February 25, 2010. Only a few blossoms left on the branches as leaves start to unfold.

Attached Files:

3. Anne Eng

Grove of fifteen Shirofugens coming into bloom at the southeast corner Adanac and Salisbury (parkette) on April 10, 2010, just as the Shirotae on the northeast corner is finishing.

Attached Files:

4. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Re: Grandview Woodland--Kiku-zakura

Amazingly, I found 16 beautiful Kiku-zakura on William St. I couldn't stop to take almost 300 photos.

Attached Files:

May Lin likes this.
  5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'd have loved to have been there to see how excited you were, Joseph. So the (privately planted) one we have in the West End isn't a one-of-a-kind.

It's interesting how similar in shape they are to the 'Kanzan' further down the block. I'm wondering if the city knew they were planting two different trees. I'm going to try to find out.

6. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

What a fantastic find, Joseph! How did we miss them up 'til now?

7. Joseph Lin

I think it can be two reasons. They were ignored because of blooming in Kanzan season. You will find the other reason, because this area has more traffic obstacles than West End.

8. wcutler

And a third reason - once you're sensitized to seeing something, it starts popping up all over the place. I hope that happens with these.

9. meb

meb Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I checked with the city and the trees on William St in that location are all listed as Kanzan. I'm heading over there to see this new find.

10. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Where on William Street are these trees?

11. wcutler

Joseph gave the location of these 'Kiku-zakura' in an email:
    The blossoms look like 'Kiku-shidare-zakura', which is a weeping chrysanthemum-blossomed tree ("shidare" means weeping), but this tree is clearly upright, and the buds look quite different. On the 'Kiku-zakura' buds, you can see the sepals from the second-story flowers (flower inside the flower) in every bud. And the buds quickly take on a sort-of disc shape at the open end, where there's so much happening inside the bud and the petals aren't long enough yet to cover it all.

12. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

We went to check these Kiko-zakura on William Street Sunday afternoon. They are indeed gorgeous! Although Joseph has already taken hundreds of pictures for them, we couldn't help click a few times more.

Attached Files:

13. Anne Eng

Lord Nelson's Accolades in bloom on March 19, 2011. Nine Accolades in bloom on Charles Street, between Garden and Templeton. Eight are on the north side of Charles, across from Lord Nelson School; one single tree on the south side of Charles, close to Templeton.

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

The McSpadden Park block of 'Whitcomb' on Victoria between 5th and 6th are in bloom. I said elsewhere that this wouldn't be a good 'Whitcomb' year, but these look great, worth seeing even in the rain.

Attached Files:

15. kennyc

kennyc Member

Re: Kensington-Cedar Cottage

The entire 2200 block of Charles (between Templeton and Garden) is lined with huge Accolades which are in bloom now. Personally, I still like smaller trees better.

20110323_Charles+Templeton_Accolade_Chan_001.jpg 20110323_Charles+Templeton_Accolade_Chan_002.jpg 20110323_Charles+Templeton_Accolade_Chan_003.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  16. kennyc

kennyc Member

Last Saturday (April 2, 2011), the sky was blue with wispy clouds, and on my way off work, I drove by this showy Accolade on Nanaimo & Parker (on the West side of Nanaimo). Everything was so perfect that I felt SO thankful for this awesome sighting!

20110402_Nanaimo+Parker_Accolade_Chan_011.jpg 20110402_Nanaimo+Parker_Accolade_Chan_008.jpg 20110402_Nanaimo+Parker_Accolade_Chan_006.jpg

Being the daring explorer I am, I drove westward along E 1st Avenue, and to my surprise discovered a beautifully bloomed Somei-yoshino at Woodlands, next to an apartment complex. It was SO white that it caught my eyes ONE full block away!!

20110402_E1+Woodlands_Somei-yoshino_Chan_008.jpg 20110402_E1+Woodlands_Somei-yoshino_Chan_004.jpg 20110402_E1+Woodlands_Somei-yoshino_Chan_006.jpg

17. kennyc

kennyc Member

I wasn't planning to post these, as they appear to be just another 'Akebono' or 'Somei-yoshino', but when I look closer, they look like neither of them! Some of the tell-tale signs are the emerging bronze foliage and the large number of buds (I presume both Akebono and Somei-yoshino are finishing their blooms by now). After much research, I found them to be Yama-Zakura. Location is the west side of Nanaimo (and Charles). [edited 2012apr04 by wcutler:]We've decided to call these Sargentii hybrids. Kenny's right that we were calling them Yama-zakura when he did his posting.

20110411_Nanaimo+Charles_YamaZakura_Chan_019.jpg 20110411_Nanaimo+Charles_YamaZakura_Chan_014.jpg 20110411_Nanaimo+Charles_YamaZakura_Chan_012.jpg

Two blocks away, at Garden and William, are several robust Akebonos:

20110411_Garden+William_Akebono_Chan_001.jpg 20110411_Garden+William_Akebono_Chan_008.jpg 20110411_Garden+William_Akebono_Chan_013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  18. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Hastings-Sunrise

On a walk today, spotted these:

On the north side of Wall street, just East of Powell, two Ukons (?):

20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_937.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_938.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_939.jpg 20110422_WallPowell_Ukon_Blumenthal_940.jpg

A little further east, at 2121 Wall Street, a Shirotae on private property:

20110422_2121Wall_Shirotae_Blumenthal_941.jpg 20110422_2121Wall_Shirotae_Blumenthal_942.jpg

And on the south side of Cambridge Street, just east of Kamloops, this tree which really threw me for a loop - if I didn't know better, I would swear it was an Akebono, but all of the other Akebonos in the neighbourhood were done, as they are everywhere else, so what is it?

20110422_CambridgeKamloops_??_Blumenthal_961.jpg 20110422_CambridgeKamloops_??_Blumenthal_962.jpg

Laura 3:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  19. khansol

khansol Member

Kanzan on E 3rd Ave.

Kanzans on East 3rd Ave. ( photo taken: April 30, 2011 )

Between Victoria drive and Semlin drive.

Attached Files:

20. wcutler

The 'Kiku-zakura' on William at Garden (with several 'Kanzan' on the blocks as well) are past their peak now, but are still worth seeing.

I found another street with four of them, on Turner east of Nanaimo, so they'll be posted in the Hastings-Sunrise thread.

Attached Files:

21. Anne Eng

New Year, new blossoms. The first Autumnalis of Templeton Drive's ten trees is opening on the NE corner of Templeton and E. 1st Avenue on January 1, 2012. Last year they were finished by the end of February as per post #27.

Attached Files:

22. Joseph Lin

The Whitcomb cherries bloomed 80% at McSpadden Park this afternoon.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

The two-block stretch of 'Accolade' on Charles west from Garden are at least 50% bloom now, enough to give the street nice colour. They even seem ahead of the 'Whitcomb' trees not that far away on the east side of Nanaimo, in the Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhood.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

There are two or three per block of these what we're now calling Sargentii hybrids on the west side of Nanaimo between Grant and William.
    20120404_NanaimoGrant_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200124.jpg 20120404_NanaimoGrant_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200125.jpg 20120404_NanaimoGrant_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200126.jpg
    20120404_NanaimoGrant_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200127.jpg 20120404_NanaimoGrant_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200129.jpg

On Napier west of Garden is a block with several of them.
    20120404_NapierGarden_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200167.jpg 20120404_NapierGarden_SargentiiHybrid_Cutler_P1200168.jpg

The 'Autumnalis Rosea' on Nanaimo north of 1st are still going strong, with larger flowers than they had last month. They're actually showing some colour now, though nothing to compete with the Sargentii hybrids across the street. They're in the Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhood.

25. wcutler

At Nanaimo and Parker, across the street from a 'Fudan-zakura' that got a lot of interest in the Hastings-Sunrise thread, is a single very nice 'Accolade', that still looks excellent on April 4. On the same block are two more pathetic-looking 'Fudan-zakura' that I think must have been posted in the other thread a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files: