Sunset

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Joseph Lin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Sunset - FIRST POSTING IN 2009

Five Whitcombs at the southwest corner of Prince Edward and E. 51 Ave. (Sunset Community Centre Ice Rink) in full bloom on March 22, 2009.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Whitcomb - Sunset, E. 59 Ave from Main to Prince Edward St.

This is going to be an amazingly beautiful location - the whole street is full of Whitcombs, except for some plums right at Main and some Akebonos in the middle on the south side and maybe something else on the north side - I can't remember now. This would be a good spot to compare the plums and Whitcombs, except that it's too easy, as the plums here will be white.

Maybe another week till blooming? They're not worth a trip yet, though I got plenty excited. It's good for blossom photos, as there are some branches that droop quite low, but you can see in the background how little is really open on March 27.

Attached Files:

3. jamor

jamor Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Re:59th and Main

East 59th Ave from Main St to Prince Edward St: These 15 Whitcombs are more advanced in blossom than others I've seen, though not quite at their peak yet. Perhaps it's due to their location on the south slope? I love the patterns formed by the delicate branches against the blue-sky background.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

I was with Linda Poole, the festival director, and her friend Carol. We'd planned to go to an exhibit that was closed for the holiday, so since we were in the Sunset area, I made Linda drive me to see the festival favourite Whitcombs on 59th at Prince Edward. On the same corner, on Prince Edward, we saw these Akebonos,
    20090410_PrinceEdward59th_Akebono_Cutler_3768.jpg 20090410_PrinceEdward59th_LindaAkebono_Cutler_3762.jpg

and off in the distance, we saw the darker trees, so drove down to have a look.

I'm waiting for these to be identified in the Cultivars ID Forum, but I've guessed that they're 'Pink Shell', which Douglas, in his April 20, 2008 Blog, described as looking like "unusually low, wide, bright pink ‘Akebono’ cherries". That describes these perfectly. [edited by wcutler: But that's not what these are. They're more likely 'Afterglow'. Edited again by wcutler: now Douglas is hedging, maybe 'Afterglow' and 'Pink Shell' are the same?] We were wondering why what looked like Akebonos were darker in the distance, and this is what we came upon, a whole block of them, both sides, on Prince Edward between 61st and 62nd. If you know Linda, you'd understand why I had to have that young person in this photo, what with her pink slacks and all.
    20090410_PrinceEdward61_PinkShell_Cutler_3780.jpg 20090410_PrinceEdward61_PinkShell_Cutler_3784.jpg 20090410_PrinceEdward61_PinkShell_Cutler_3785.jpg 20090410_PrinceEdward61_PinkShell_Cutler_3794.jpg 20090410_PrinceEdward61_PinkShell_Cutler_3798.jpg

While we were looking for the Whitcombs, we came across this great street of old Akebonos on 54th from St George to Prince Edward.
    20090410_54thStGeorge_Akebono_Cutler_3750.jpg 20090410_54thStGeorge_Akebono_Cutler_3753.jpg 20090410_54thStGeorge_Akebono_Cutler_3756.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. wcutler

Re: Whitcomb - Sunset, E. 59 Ave from Main to Prince Edward St.

There are actually three cultivars on this street. I didn't count how many of what, but there are indeed Whitcombs, still looking ok, but with leaves coming out now ...
    20090410_59thPrinceEdward_Whitcomb_Cutler_3769.jpg 20090410_59thPrinceEdward_Whitcomb_Cutler_3772.jpg

and at least one Accolade, looking very nice ...
    20090410_59thPrinceEdward_Accolade_Cutler_3777.jpg 20090410_59thPrinceEdward_Accolade_Cutler_3779.jpg

and at least two Akebonos that I didn't photograph, but out enough to look good.

6. Anne Eng

The three Spires in Memorial Park, south side of E. 41, east of Prince Albert are easy to miss, because they look so tall and healthy, for Spire. In bloom April 13, 2009. [edited 20090715 by wcutler: see next post - these have been re-identified as Schmittii]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  7. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The reason these trees are so healthy, is that they aren't 'Spire' at all. They're Schmitt cherry (Prunus 'Schmittii')! Note the small flowers with narrow, recurved petals against the trunk and the taller, cleaner, more open habit (no brown rot damage). Typical 'Spire' below (picture taken 13 April 2009), and flowers (from previous year). Thanks to Wendy Cutler for pointing this out to me.
    spire91_small.jpg spire1_small.jpg

[edited 2011jan05]: I needed to ask Douglas Justice if 'Umineko' were blooming at the same time. Yes they were - Douglas sent me this photo from the same location: 57th, looking east from Ontario. The 'Spire' trees are around Quebec, east of this line of 'Umineko'.
    20090413_57thOntario_Umineko_Justice.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  8. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Largest Somei-Yoshino in Vancouver?!

There is a huge Somei-Yoshino near the corner of Prince Edward and Woodstock.
    It is much taller than 2 story house. It looks not grafted.
    The trunk is more than 40 cm in diameter.
    It looks much older than UBC or Cambie Somei-Yoshinos.
    20090414_PrinceEdward&Woodstock_Somei-Yoshino_Izaki 002.jpg 20090414_PrinceEdward&Woodstock_Somei-Yoshino_Izaki 001.jpg 20090414_PrinceEdward&Woodstock_Somei-Yoshino_Izaki 003.jpg

9. eteinindia

When I first see Wendy’s photos of Prince Edward & 62, I wondered they were really Pink Shell. So I went to see the cherries on April 14th. It was only 4, 5 days after Wendy’s visit, they looked very different.
    Pink of the flowers are not so dark. There are 7 “Pink Shell" trees on the block between 61 and 62 and other 4 or 5 trees are Akebonos.
    20090414_PrinceEdward&59-62nd_Akebono&you-know-what_Izaki 009.jpg 20090414_PrinceEdward&59-62nd_Akebono&you-know-what_Izaki 010.jpg 20090414_PrinceEdward&59-62nd_Akebono&you-know-what_Izaki 006.jpg
    20090414_PrinceEdward&59-62nd_Akebono&you-know-what_Izaki 013.jpg 20090414_PrinceEdward&59-62nd_Akebono&you-know-what_Izaki 007.jpg

After I came home I realised that I didn’t measure single flower size. So I visited again on April 15. Flowers are much smaller than Akebono. The color was fading day by day. That day I found a broken branch which is more than 1meter. It was too big to bring back so I tore and brought a small twig to my house. Today (April 17) it looks very beautiful with green leaves.
    Last year I brought back the branches used for the Tree Identification talk of Douglas. I think one of them were Pink shell and this twig looks like the one I brought last year. So I think this is “Pink Shell”
    20090417_PinkShell_PrinceEdward&62_Izaki 003.jpg 20090417_PinkShell_PrinceEdward&62_Izaki 004.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  10. wcutler

I can't win this no matter what. I just posted photos in Douglas's Cherry Orchard blog thread of what I guessed today was Pink Shell, but I didn't think it was the same thing as these trees on Prince Edward. So I get to be wrong one place or the other. Oh, I forgot about the entirely possible wrong in both places.

Mariko, just to be sure - you're not comparing last year's branch photo with this year's - that's two photos of this year's branch. You're just remembering what last year's branch looks like?

11. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I think Mariko might have something here. Note how the petals fold in on themselves as they age. Wouldn't it be interesting if 'Afterglow' was the American name for the British 'Pink Shell'. I'm not saying that that's what's happening here, but stranger things have happened in horticulture.

I would dearly love to cultivate all of the known cultivars growing in this area in the "common garden." Because the only 'Pink Shell' we know are at UBC, and flower at least two weeks later than they would if planted downtown or in south Vancouver, we have to compare with images, rather than actual flowers.

I estimate we need about $50K a year to do a proper job at the Botanical Garden Nursery; i.e., gather all the available cherries together, propagate them on their own roots, send them out for regular virus indexing and see which are really suited to this climate. Ultimately we could make the best of them available to the trade. Anyone know a wealthy benefactor?

12. eteinindia

Wendy, you are right. I'll post the pictures here.
    I think these are Pink Shell. There is no name written for this flowers.

Attached Files:

13. Anne Eng

The three Kiku-shidare (festival favourite) in bloom April 21, 2009 on Waverly, east of Ross.

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

Re: Kiku Shidare Zakura - Sunset, Ross at Waverley

Here's the map for the Kiku-shidare in the previous posting.
    36-KikuShidareZakuraRoss.gif

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  15. Anne Eng

Two Ichiyos in bloom April 24, 2009 on southeast corner of Fraser and E. 54. A starved little Avium is squashed between them.

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

Prunus Sato-zakura Group 'Kanzan'. I was at the community centre for a workshop and thought I'd made this great discovery, but then it turns out it's been found before - a festival favourite no less. The way these big old trees seem to go on forever and totally fill up the road at the end of the vista makes it special. After you see these, turn south on Fraser, then left on 53rd, for another 2-sided stretch, all the way to Ross.
    40-Kanzan50th.gif 20090424_50Main_Kanzan_Cutler_4257.jpg 20090424_50Main_Kanzan_Cutler_4259.jpg 20090424_50Main_Kanzan_Cutler_4263.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  17. eteinindia

On April 28, Kanzans were full bloom and Avium Plenas were half bloom on Elgin St. Between 49th to 47th.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  18. Anne Eng

Three Shirofugens finishing their bloom on May 4, 2009 at SW corner Ontario and SE Marine Drive.

Attached Files:

19. Anne Eng

First posting 2010

Lonely Accolade already dropping blossoms at NW E 59 Ave. and Prince Edward, Jan. 27, 2010. It's in Whitcomb country; the Whitcomb next to it and two across the street are blooming although the rest of the family running westward on E 59 to Main Street are still in bud.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
  20. Anne Eng

Vanguard of three Whitcombs in bloom Jan. 27, 2010 on both sides of E 59, west of Prince Edward St. The rest of the Whitcombs westward along E 59 still in bud.

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

Anne, you win this year on first Whitcomb and Accolade postings. Sunset might be the hotspot for this year, though the West End trees look about the same, as do the Accolades on Yew south of 43rd, over on the other side of the city (I don't think I got any in focus, but they looked about the same when I saw them last week). So it seems that there's not much difference around the city right now. The spring cherries are early everywhere.

22. Anne Eng

Afterglow, on Prince Edward E. 61 to E. 62, March 15, 2010.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  23. Anne Eng

The two Ichyio trees on the east side of Fraser Street, south of E. 54 Avenue are in full bloom on March 30, 2010. However the Ichyios on W.41 and Willow are just starting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  24. Douglas Justice

Those Fraser Street trees were my motivation for getting into flowering cherries again (after a long hiatus in my late teens and early twenties). I was living just off Fraser Street on 46th and it was my habit to drive Fraser to and from Marine Drive practically every day. It was probably 1996 when I stopped to try to work out an identification for these unusually beautiful trees.

The Willow and 41st trees, which have been slowly succumbing to bacterial canker, overcrowding and shoddy pruning might actually be something else. 'Edo-zakura' anyone?

25. Anne Eng

Kiku-shidare in (private) full bloom at 549 E 57, west of Fraser, on April 3, 2010.
    [Edited by wcutler May 4, 2020]: tree is no longer there

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020