Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Downtown - Amanogowas on Melville

The private planting of several Amanogawas on Melville is about 30% in bloom. They're in front of townhouses between Bute and Jervis on the south side. The identifying features of this cultivar are the narrow upright shape and the stems held upright on the branches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: Downtown - more Amanogawa

Three Amanogawas near full bloom at the entrance to a small courtyard on the South side of the 1000 block Georgia.

Attached Files:

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: Downtown - Shirofugen near Burrard Station

Two Shirofugen at the west side of Burrard Station are covered in beautiful copper coloured new leaves, but the buds are still tightly furled, except for a single high cluster.

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

Re: Downtown Shirofugens

That's such a strange cluster, with some of those early blossoms having their late-season colours - they usually open white and a couple of weeks later start to go pink from the centre, so they're quite pink about a month after they open. I know those trees - they really are Shirofugen.

Other trees to look out for are a huge planting at 400 W. Georgia, in back of the building, across from the post office. They're quite sheltered, so could bloom early. The ones under the glass cover are taller than the others and have green leaves, whereas Shirofugen leaves usually start out bronze. Other than that, they behave like Shirofugen.

5. wcutler

Re: Downtown - Ukons on Pacific Blvd

There are 6 + 3 young Ukons planted on the median between Pacific Boulevard and Expo Boulevard just north of where they meet (see them from a couple of years ago on this map), where the big red circle thing from Expo 86 is. There are some handy white cars for colour comparison.

Attached Files:

6. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: West End, Stanley Park

Where I am is technically not Downtown and not West End--it's Coal Harbour but I've been calling it West End. So today the Shirofugen in the minipark/easement at 1239 Georgia are starting to show off. There's been an amazing increase in number of blooms in one day so if tomorrow is what the forecasters predict, it should be worth a visit. Just behind on Melville, the Amanogawas seem to have reached their peak display. Around the corner on Broughton between Georgia and Robson there are other lovely surprises and that's definitely West End.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  7. wcutler

Re: Pink Perfection - Large showy double peachier pink blossoms, bronze leaves, late

Here are four Pink Perfections on Davie at Richards (in Vancouver), outside the Choices Market. I don't even have to ask for confirmation. Unless they're something we haven't even considered. Although a lot of the blossoms don't have the pink outside/white centre, some of them do, and the colour difference of the blossoms and the leaves compared to the neighbouring Kanzans is immediately obvious. The photos aren't clear, but you can still see some serrated sepals. [Edited 2012mar01 by wcutler:] Only one of these trees is there now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  8. wcutler

Re: Mostly Pink Perfection - Large showy double pink blossoms, bronze leaves, late

Here are some Pink Perfections that first appeared in Mariko's posting on the Cultivars ID forum, showing vexillate filaments, four(?) phylloid pistils, and serrated sepals, all characteristics of Pink Perfection but generally not of Kanzan.
    20080430_HowePacific_PP_Cutler_5291r.jpg

There are 8 of these trees either single or in pairs in various places in the forward and back courtyard at 1500 Howe; the ones in back are on a walkway from the Stone Grill restaurant up to Beach Ave. I think one of the trees might be a Kanzan but probably was not supposed to be. I'm including shots similar to Mariko's for comparison with the one I think is a Kanzan.
    20080430_HowePacific_PP_Cutler_5289r.jpg 20080430_HowePacific_PP_Cutler_5292r.jpg 20080430_HowePacific_PP_Cutler_5283cr.jpg 20080430_HowePacific_PP_Cutler_5274r.jpg

Here's the one I think is the Kanzan. The blossom colour is different and the leaves are more bronze-coloured. You can see the Pink Perfection in the background.
    20080430_HowePacific_Kanzan_Cutler_5300r.jpg 20080430_HowePacific_Kanzan_Cutler_5302r.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  9. wcutler

Re: Kanzan vs Pink Perfection?? Large showy double pink blossoms, bronze leaves, late

These Pink Perfection flowers are from small trees at Terminal and Quebec, in an apparent parking lot with no cars. Their future here seems uncertain.

I don't think I've seen Kanzan sepals curl up like this. And there's so much stuff in the centre of that flower, it could be the subject of a whole biology class.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  10. wcutler

Re: Downtown - the first Akebono blossoms of 2009

First posting in 2009

I think it's traditional (if one year establishes a tradition) to post a lame photo of the first Akebono blossom high up in one of the Burrard Station trees, so I'm doing it. Last year's was taken March 7, and the trees were a little more advanced than what I saw today, March 14. Peak bloom last year came 25-30 days after that first photo, so I'm guessing that they'll be perfect for my Easter Parade and Cherry Walk with the Vancouver Walkers Meetup group, which starts out right under these trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. wcutler

Linda Poole, the VCBF festival director, sent me downtown today, March 30, to check out these Akebonos at Burrard Station, where the festival opening Cherry Jam happens tomorrow. Well, OK, maybe I volunteered to go see them, but I didn't realize it was pouring rain, and I did say that there were only maybe 100 open flowers total. I'm not even sure there are that many. There's one more clump like this. They're a bit more open than last week, but it's not even a really good wash of pink. A "wash" is what they are, for the opening party, anyway. Still on track for my April 12 walk, though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  12. wcutler

Akebono - Downtown, Melville St at Burrard Skytrain Stn

Prunus x yedoensis 'Akebono'

Well who knew it wasn't going to pour for the Cherry Jam downtown, the opening of the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival today, March 31. Yesterday there were just about no open blossoms. Today there were at least 100 flowers open! These are really not going to be open for at least another week. I predicted Easter Sunday (April 12) a while ago, and I'm sticking to that.

The marker is the push-pin; the other marker is for Akebonos at Grosvenor Plaza, a festival favourite last year, which last year opened up a bit before these Burrard Station ones.
    13-AkebonoMelville.gif 20090331_BurrardStn_Akebono_Cutler_3517.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  13. jamor

jamor Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Re: Akebono - Downtown, Melville St at Burrard Skytrain Stn

This location is beginning to look spectacular. Notice how many buds are still to open.

Attached Files:

14. gonul guvenc

gonul guvenc Active Member

Grosvenor Plaza Akebonos are in almost full bloom as of April 7th 2009. I took some pictues yesterday. Unfortunately, the pictures are not good enough to post. I'll get new ones: )

Akebonos at Burrard station look better now.

15. gonul guvenc

Here are some pictures from Grosvenor Plaza.
    Date: April 8, 2009
    Cheery type: Akebono

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  16. gonul guvenc

Re: Akebono - Downtown, Melville St at Burrard Skytrain Stn

Here are some pictures from Burrard Station as of April 8, 2009.

Attached Files:

17. mdrutz

mdrutz Member

Cherries on April 8, 2009. In Andy Livingstone Park, on Keefer Street at Taylor Street.

Attached Files:

18. gonul guvenc

Shirotae (I hope I get that right) on Bute between Alberni and Robson is starting to bloom. Pictures are taken on April 9, 2009.
    [edited 2010feb03 by wcutler: these trees are gone now - replaced by some building]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
  19. kennyc

kennyc Member

My First Sighting of Akebonos in 2009:

I saw these in front of Grosvenor Building on Alberni + Thurlow on Sunday, April 5, 2009. They were almost in full bloom, but not quite. The blossoms look very graceful in close observation, and serve as a good canopy for picnic. [Edited Aug 3, 2016 by wcutler: This group of trees was cut down in March 2106, in full bloom, to make room for a building.]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
  20. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

On April 10,

Akebonos fully bloomed with Kobus Magnolia at Burrard Skytrain Station. You will enjoy the walk with Wendy at the best time on April 12.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  21. mdrutz

mdrutz Member

Saw these cherries this morning along the Coal Harbour seawall at Broughton Street.

Attached Files:

22. mdrutz

mdrutz Member

This morning, April 14, on the pedestrian walkway of Hornby Street between Hastings and Cordova.

Attached Files:

23. wcutler

Pink Perfection - Downtown, Howe St at Beach in courtyard

Several Prunus Sato-zakura Group 'Pink Perfection' trees are coming into bloom in the courtyard of 1500 Howe St and behind the building on a walkway leading from Beach Avenue to the Stone Grill. The two trees in the courtyard are in full bloom, a few days ahead of the others. All these trees are in planters.
    39-PPHowe.gif 20090422_HoweBeach_PP_Cutler_4057.jpg 20090422_HoweBeach_PP_Cutler_4064.jpg

24. wcutler

Pink Perfections are coming out, a bit ahead of the Kanzans. The ones in the courtyard behind 1500 Howe St are in the previous posting. These four on Davie at Richards, outside the Choices Market, have markedly different coloured flowers and leaves from the Kanzans nearest the camera (across the street from the Pink Perfections) and farthest from the camera (farther down the block on the same side as the Pink Perfections). In the blossom photo, the trees in the background seem to be Pink Perfection colour, but that's just because of the sun hitting them - they're Kanzans across the street and they don't really look lighter than the Pink Perfections. [Edited 20120301 by wcutler:] There is only one of these trees remaining.
    20090422_DavieRichards_PP_Cutler_4113.jpg 20090422_DavieRichards_PP_Cutler_4107.jpg
    There is one tree on the corner of Richards (not pictured) that's the same size as the Pink Perfections but has no flowers - that's a baby Rancho that has finished flowering. It looks very similar to the Pink Perfections at first glance - all these baby trees seem to have the same shape.

The trees north on Richards from Davie with the white blossoms are ornamental pears, which seem to be planted all over the west end and this end of downtown.
    20090422_DavieRichards_Pears_Cutler_4114.jpg 20090422_DavieRichards_Pears_Cutler_4116.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  25. wcutler

The Bayshore Hotel is surrounded by Shirotae. The first photo is from the west side of the building; the other photo is on the east side, near the Starbucks entrance. I didn't realize that all the trees weren't Shirotae 9 days ago. The small browner-looking trees are Shirofugens just beginning to open. The blossom here is the Shirotae.
    20090421_BayshoreWest_Shirotae_Cutler_DSC02406.jpg 20090421_BayshoreEast_ShirotaeShirofugen_Cutler_DSC02409.jpg 20090421_BayshoreEast_Shirotae_Cutler_DSC02410.jpg

Here are the Shirofugen blossoms [edited by wcutler 20090509: actually, they're Shogetsu]. If these don't make you want to visit downtown Vancouver, I guess nothing will.
    20090421_BayshoreEast_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02411.jpg 20090421_BayshoreEast_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02418.jpg 20090421_BayshoreEast_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02420.jpg

Closer to the front of the building, I told people on the Easter Parade walk that these trees were all Shirotae. Well, they're not. And while it's totally clear to me on Pendrell Street how different Shirofugens are from Shogetsu, I can't tell here which these are. I thought they were Shirofugens, because they do have a non-green appearance, but they also have those frilly Shogetsu edges. I'm still guessing Shirofugen. [Edited 2016apr4] I am no longer confused by these - the later-blooming ones (later than the 'Shirotae') are 'Shogetsu'.
    20090421_BayshoreEast_ShirotaeShirofugen_Cutler_DSC02423.jpg 20090421_BayshoreEast_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02426.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016