Kensington-Cedar Cottage

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

First posting in 2008

Coming up soon are Whitcomb cherries on Dumfries, from 32nd-33rd Aves. Here is a map.
    04Whitcomb-Kensington-CedarCottage.gif

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Laura Blumenthal

Laura Blumenthal Well-Known Member 10 Years

Kensington/Cedar Cottage

Well, there's not much to report at this point. I went to look at the favourite on Dumfries between 32nd & 33rd this morning, and it's starting to bloom, but it hasn't gotten very far, and the light really wasn't good enough to get a good shot.

What we have is a cherry planting that's at least two blocks long, from 33rd to 31st and Dumfries, and I don't know how far north of there it extends. The block between 33rd and 32nd basically looks like this:

P1050166.jpg

And the presumed Whitcomb looks like this:

P1050167.jpg

It has a few scattered pink blossoms, but nothing to write home about yet.

Laura 3:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  3. Laura Blumenthal

Re: Kensington/Cedar Cottage

I forgot to post the location map, so here it is:

04Whitcomb-Kensington-Cedar Cottage.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Laura Blumenthal

5. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Kensington/Cedar Cottage

Accolade just started to bloom on Dumfries Between 32nd & 33rd
    Yesterday(March 1) was a warm, wonderful day for Cherry quest, so I visited to check. I found there are a few flowers blooming on 10 cherry trees which I could recognize Accolade.There are 2 more cherry trees which hasn't have any flowers yet and one of them is definitely not Accolade (I believe Akebono or some other), but the other one I'm not sure. It a bit slower here than Kerrisdale or City Hall area. But not so big difference. Accolade is slower than Whitcomb. I think they'll be full bloom in 3 weeks.

♪Mariko Izaki♪

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

Re: Kensington/Cedar Cottage - Dumfries 32nd-33rd

These do look like Accolades, but there are supposed to be Whitcombs on that block - that's what we're looking for in the VCBF Festival Favourites Forum for Whitcombs - Kensington-Cedar Cottage. I wish these cherries would wait up for a bit until the Favourites list gets published! Not really - I can't wait and I've been photographing every little blossom too. For this block, later photos should be on the Favourites forum.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There were no whitcomb trees on Dumfries Street between 33rd and 26th. I walked down to Kingsway and came up again and checked every tree. There are accolade trees between 33rd and 32nd. Then there are a lot of Kanzan or some late cherry trees on both side between 32nd & 28th. Between 28th & 26th I think there are no cherry trees and there are many Purple-leaved plums on east side of the Street. I didn't check south of 33rd street nor side streets.

On my way to city hall I found 5 whitcomb trees in the small park at the south-west cornor of Sophia & 15th. Those are in Mount Pleasant area. I'll put the picture on the board.
    ♪Mariko Izaki♪

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  8. wcutler

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Whitcomb s/b Accolades - Kensington-Cedar Cottage

Are municipal planting records, if any, involved in this effort?

10. Laura Blumenthal

Here are a few more pictures of these apparent accolades.

P1050194.jpg P1050196.jpg P1050198.jpg

11. Laura Blumenthal

Thanks to fellow cherry scout Anne Eng for the heads-up about the row of cherries in bloom on the West side of Dumfries between 21st and 22nd avenue. She thinks they're Whitcombs, and I think she's right. Here they are:

20080308_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_199.jpg 20080308_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_200.jpg 20080308_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_201.jpg

20080308_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_202.jpg 20080308_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_203.jpg

She also said there is another one of a different variety (accolade?) at 3775 Dumfries, but I forgot to look for that one.

I also noticed a few magnificent plantings of cherry trees which must be much later-blooming varieties - on 26th Ave. near St. George Street (just East of Main) and on St. George Street itself around there - then another row on 26th Ave. further East, but now I've forgotten how far East it was. And plum trees in the same area of 27th. Anyhow, none of this is in bloom, so that's for later.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  12. Laura Blumenthal

There are some lovely Whitcombs (?) in bloom in the yard of the church at 17th & Knight Street.

Actually, the trees are closer to the northeast corner of 18th & Knight:

20080315_18th&Knight_Blumenthal_233.jpg 20080315_18th&Knight_Blumenthal_235.jpg 20080315_18th&Knight_Blumenthal_236.jpg 20080315_18th&Knight_Blumenthal_238.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  13. Laura Blumenthal

Here is a picture of the other cultivar at 3775 Dumfries (somehow I write 3807 Dumfries, though - not sure about the address), mentioned above:

20080315_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_241.jpg 20080315_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_246.jpg 20080315_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_248.jpg

... and a couple more of that gorgeous one at 3875 Dumfries (I'm sure of the address on that one):

20080315_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_251.jpg 20080315_3807Dumfries_Blumenthal_257.jpg

14. Laura Blumenthal

Two more to report. This one was another one noted by Anne Eng. It's at 39th & Bruce St., in front of a little house that also has a little magnolia in bloom:

20080315_5468Bruce_Blumenthal_269.jpg 20080315_5468Bruce_Blumenthal_272.jpg 20080315_5468Bruce_Blumenthal_276.jpg

Just up the street, but on the other side of Bruce, is this one:

20080315_5365Bruce_Blumenthal_278.jpg 20080315_5365Bruce_Blumenthal_279.jpg

... and I couldn't resist taking a shot of this beautiful root at the next cherry tree south of there:

20080315_5365Bruce_Blumenthal_286.jpg

15. Laura Blumenthal

This may not be worth reporting, but here's a tree just starting to bloom at 38th & Windsor:

20080315_38th&Windsor_Blumenthal_289.jpg 20080315_38th&Windsor_Blumenthal_290.jpg

16. wcutler

Keep an eye on Lanark, the block north of 22nd for several Accolades in about a week. And 22nd, from Knight-Lanark or Dumfries looks like it will be a canopy of Akebonos, maybe the first week of April. This should be a good photo op.

17. Laura Blumenthal

Yes'm.

18. Laura Blumenthal

P.S. Can you help with identifying these cultivars?

19. wcutler

You've posted Whitcombs on Knight, Dumfries and Bruce, and Accolade on Windsor. Whitcombs have dark pink blossoms fading to light pink, 5 petals. If you have any Pendulas, they'll have blossoms a lot like Whitcombs, but the branches are drooping enough that you'll understand the reason for the name. Accolades have medium pink blossoms, a double row of petals totalling more like 10.

20. Laura Blumenthal

Thanks, Wendy. So the puff-ball type blossom cluster that you see in this picture is from the same cultivar as the rather different-looking one in this picture?

21. wcutler

Yes, I think they're the same cultivar. The first one seems to be from a tree that's got almost all the blossoms out, so the blossoms have now faded to a pale pink, all the buds in that area are open, and the whole tree doesn't have those balls of blossoms - that's just a little area of overcrowding, like the downtown section of the tree <grin>. The other tree is not yet fully in bloom, so the blossoms are darker and a lot of buds in that cluster aren't open yet.

The thing is, you get to use the hint that there isn't anything else around that has pink blossoms with five petals that's open now. Except pink purple-leafed plums, and their tree shape is different, the arrangement of blossoms on the branches is different and they have purple leaves out now with the blossoms. You can check plums in the Ornamental Cherry Identification Forum Plum thread.

Your Dumfries address is probably not far from wrong. I noticed today that Lanark, the next street over, starts 3800 in the middle of the block, so maybe Dumfries does too and maybe one of the trees is in front of the other address. Mid-block should be close enough for someone to find a tree in bloom.

22. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

The cherry trees at Dumfries between 33~32 Ave. should be Accolade, not Whitcomb as recorded in our favorite list. They are beautiful but have only 10% blooming.

Attached Files:

23. Laura Blumenthal

There's a beautiful pendula on private property but clearly visible from the street on 29th Ave. between Windsor and Elgin, south side of the street. It's not totally in bloom yet, but it promises to be spectactular. Here's a pic:

20080324_29th&Windsor_pendula_Blumenthal_487.jpg

... and here's a somewhat scrawny accolade on the southeast corner of 29th & Fraser, next to the 29th Ave. Market:

20080324_29th&Fraser_accolade_Blumenthal_484.jpg 20080324_29th&Fraser_accolade_Blumenthal_483.jpg

24. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The scrawny one is almost certainly 'Autumnalis Rosea'.

25. Laura Blumenthal

Darn - just when I thought I was getting the hang of this!