tiny white spots on japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Hi

I planted a dwarf Japanese maple this summer. It now has tiny white spots on the leaves and stems. They do not wipe off. The undersides of the leaves do not have the spots. Also, the perimeter of the leaf is brown. It is not losing its leaves, and the color is reddish green.

chris budnik
    NJMagpie@aol.com

2. OtakuShark

OtakuShark Member

I have a Japanese Maple that sounds like it has a similar problem. The tree is planted in a corner where my garage and front room come together and gets full sun in the morning and shade in late afternoon. It has probably been underwatered this summer because I discovered the drip system in that area was broken.

Also, it may be unrelated, but I planted three Azeleas around the perimeter of that tree, and two of them died. The third one is just hanging on. The leaves on the plants died and fell off, except for ones on the last few inches of each branch.

Attached is an image of the maple leaf. I appreciate any info you can provide about the problem.

Thanks,
    Mark

Attached Files:

3. gardenweb

gardenweb Member

Has anyone found what this is and how to get rid of it?

4. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Looks as if your problem is heat stress......this is very common on newly planted Japanese maples, since their roots take a season or so to become fully established. Browning edges, leaf spots on the top of the leaves and not on the bottom is a good indicator of lack of moisture.
    Try to keep the root ball moist without being too soggy.........but that being said, you will find that the leaves on the newly planted trees will brown until the tree becomes established.......winter protection from the winds should be done to prevent tip die-back (for the same reason as stated above).

Ian

5. gardenweb

gardenweb Member

thanks, browing I understand can be caused by heat but I am more worried about white spots (this is another thread I started with pic of my maple http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=65147). White spots are on brown edges, only on top side and doesn't go away by simple rubbing on leave. My tree gets plenty water and is well established (4 years).

6. Fonzine

Fonzine Member