Tree ID: Unknown tree/berries, toxic to my dog?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by LanderZ, Aug 12, 2009.

1. LanderZ

LanderZ Member

I'm requesting some assistance in identifying what a particular tree is, as I've just noticed my new puppy has begun eating the berries it drops to the ground. He hasn't keeled-over yet, or been vomitting, but that could be bad, too.

The tree is growing in my neighbour's back yard, but also grows fairly frequently around town, here. It produces black berries (red, then they turn to black), but they aren't mulberries, as far as I can tell from picture comparisons. I also don't think it's a black cherry, as this is in Northern Alberta, and those tend to live south and east of here [like, way south]. Also, it was making little white flowers in the spring/early summer (don't have pics of that).

I'm also able, upon verification of the tree, of finding out if my lab puppy is going to be poisoned by it, but just in case anyone knows first, the puppy is a little purebred black-lab.

I've scaled the pictures down to 1/16 normal size so they should display properly as attachments.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Subgenus Padus cherry such as chokecherry (Prunus virginiana).

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Edible for people too, though as the name suggests, not the nicest of tastes (good for jam/jelly, though). Dogs enjoy a lot of fruit that we don't overly care for, just let him eat them, he'll be OK.

4. LanderZ

LanderZ Member

Wow, a quick response, and I thank you for it. Looked it up, and it seems the pits may be poisonous, but unless the dog has a bowel obstruction it'll pass before it causes any issues. The leaves are poisonous, however, it seems...

Question of curiousity, now: Is this UBC-Garden based out of UBC, or UBCO? I've been a student at both, and I'm kinda wondering which one it is. No real importance or haste to the question, but I'm going to ask, anyway.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've swallowed several cherry stones and never had any problem with them ;-)

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

And to answer your curiousity question, the UBCBG is based out of UBC (University of British Columbia).