chicken manure

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Gardenlover, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

How good is this stuff to use around fruit rees and vegetable gardens?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Ok if composted....maybe with some straw & other organic matter.

Fresh manure has never really been good added directly to plants. A composting period brings out the best results.

3. Gardenlover

composting meaning that you let the manure rot in a pile for a few months before using...or another method?

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

5. Gardenlover

hmmm????

This has got me thinking to something that happened to my grandfathers farm back home. It was January and some workers took pruned off olive branches to burn several meters away from the stable were goats were once kept. The branches were burned and everyone went home for the day(probably not putting out the ashes properly)
    mysteriously a small fire broke out in the stable 15+ meters away where there was small amounts of fresh goat manure...the stable had been vacant for 1 month after the farmer left for the season. No one was around to see except the neighbour who saw the small fire and quickly coming over to put it out preventing a disaster. So luckily no one got hurt, but a fire did break out and my grandfather was baffled as to how can this have happened since the burning bushes were several metres away. He thought someone purposely came to burn his farm down.

My question is: Is fresh manure as flammable as rotted manure?