Can anyone identify this insect ?

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by rumpuss, Sep 4, 2011.

1. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

Hello,
    I live at the north end of Lake Como in Italy. Every day I have this visitor on my balcony - it is solitary and usually arrives during the afternoon.
    He/she is a chubby insect.
    Would appreciate identification

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like what we'd call a Carpenter Bee down here. Compare - Bugguide.net has a lot of great shots of the different species. They're beneficial pollinators, don't sting, and are generally peaceful garden visitors.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Agree with lorax about bugguide---it is a site for US/Canadian insects, but I am certain that a near relative of the apian visitor could be found there.
    (Perhaps there exists a European bugguide...?)

What is the flowering plant to which the bee has been attracted?

I enjoyed this story. Charming!

4. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

Thanks for the identification....I have become quite attached to my visitor and am so pleased it has been identified......welcome Mrs. Carpenter.....I wonder where Mr & Mrs Carpenter are making their nest....perhaps in our wooden roof eaves !!!

As for the plant - actually I don´t know what it is - someone gave it to us and they didn´t know the name.....so now I need plant identification.

kind regards and again thanks for your help.

Anita

5. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

I know this is very belated but the plant was identified as Polygala Myritifolia. However, sadly no more as, despite 'mothballing' the plants for winter, the minus 10 temperature wasn't to their liking.