Meyer lemon tree leaves turning yellow

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by laboss, Apr 21, 2007.

1. laboss

laboss Member

Hi all-I have a Meyer Lemon tree which experienced tons of new growth over the winter, after I wrapped the base in christmas lights per the advice I recieved on this forum. Anyways, Many of the new leaves are turning yellow, mostly starting from the tips of the leaves, but some have yellowish splotches covering the whole leaf. This seems to be affecting almost all the new leaves, but not the older leaves. The pot has good drainage, and sits on a large tray of pebbles, and I water about once a week(indoors). I have been feeding it monthly with miracle grow all purpose fertilizer. I can see no insects on the leaves, but there is some webbing on some of the branches. Some of the leaves have small dark circular marks on the underside of the leaf, but not all. I was hoping for some rich green leaves, and these seem pretty anemic. I don't want the tree to be harmed in any way, anty assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

What are you doing to supply trace minerals? Citrus needs a variety of trace minerals and deficiencies often result in various patterns of yellow.

here is a link to help diagnose trace mineral deficiencies:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/CH142

this one covers pest and deficiencies-- http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS122

Skeet

3. laboss

laboss Member

I have just been using basic miracle grow fertilizer. I would say the tree has mineral deficiency, or possibly salt damage. How does one apply specific minerals to a tree, or fix salt injury?

thanks

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

There are several products out there that contain soluble trace minerals. I got a 5# bag of trace mineral mix at Ace hardware/farm store near here. Several people on this forum use a product called S.T.E.M. (Soluble Trace Element Mix)-- I think it is made by Peters.

Here is the trace mineral values for S.T.E.M. (Soluble Trace Mineral Mix)
    Sulfur 13.0%
    Boron .025%
    Iron 7.50 5
    Copper 2.3%
    Manganese 8.0%
    Molybdimum .04%
    Zinc 4.50%
    For Magnesium add Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate).

Vigero fertilizer I bought recently has trace minerals included--that is the easiest way to provide the trace minerals.

As for the salt buildup-- you can flush the container with lots of water--let it run through the pot for at least 15 minutes. You can put it in the shower if you can't do it outdoors.

Skeet