Queen Palms turning yellow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Debbie in Texas, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Debbie in Texas

Debbie in Texas Member

We planted Queen palms this summer and they have been doing well, however, we've had some cold spells recently and a lot of the fronds are turning yellow. Are they dying? Do we need to fertilize them again? Do we need more mulch? They are 20-30 feet high, with trunks having a 10-12 inch diameter. We're worried about what to do. They were professionally planted with a special mix from the gardeners at Moody Gardens and we don't want to lose them. Can you suggest something?

2. lukeandpalms

lukeandpalms Member

queen palms are generally hardy to about 20 F. i think it may be a magnesium Deficiency. once growing season starts, sprinkle epsom salt around the base.
    -luke

3. Debbie in Texas

Debbie in Texas Member

Hi Luke,
    Thanks for the tip. We'll try that in the Spring.
    Kind regards,
    Debbie

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Queens often have nutrient problems in Florida. Your soil situation is quite different.

I suspect your main problem is the chilly weather. Since your climate is a bit marginal, it could be worth starting some Butia capitata (pindo palms), which would be guaranteed hardy in your climate.

5. Debbie in Texas

Debbie in Texas Member

We planted 13 of the big Queen's this year, which was quite expensive. I hate to think about losing these. Yes, the weather here is dicey sometimes and we get temperatures into the 20's some nights. Should we put more mulch around the trunk area or maybe some blankets when the weather turns cold like that? I don't know if that will help or not.
    Thank you

6. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

The trees might like blankets, perhaps with a bit of heat (Christmas lights are popular).