Identification: Some Kind of Pepper Plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Yesmitch, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Yesmitch

Yesmitch Member

Please help me ID the attached photo of my pepper plant. I've grown it from the seeds of a previous plant. The peppers are red and about 3/4 inch long. It also produces white blossoms. Also - do I need to thin it out more or will the plants "get along" ok as is? The pot's about 12 inches wide.

Thanks so much!

Jeff
    Kalamazoo, MI

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm fairly certain that most cultivated peppers will require fruit for someone to identify.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(i.e., a photo of the fruit)

4. Yesmitch

Yesmitch Member

Thanks for the reply, Daniel. Unfortunately, the plant's too young to produce peppers and I didn't save any from the old plant (I used the fruit's seeds to grow the one in the picture), but they are red peppers and average 3/4 inches - white blossoms, too.

Can you tell me if you think that I need to thin out the plants in the pot?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is very close for pepper plants. One plant could eventually fill that pot. I probably would not leave more than 4 plants.

There are many kinds of peppers. I agree with Daniel, it will be impossible to ID without fruit. The plants may produce peppers much like the ones you took the seeds from, then again they might not.

6. Yesmitch

Yesmitch Member

Thanks, Eric. I guess my main concern at this point is how many to leave in the pot - I'll thin it out to four of 'em. I can ID it later once it starts bearing fruit.

Jeff