can you make a bonsai mango tree?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rowenaravenclaw, Mar 3, 2007.

1. rowenaravenclaw

rowenaravenclaw Member

what i have in mind wouldnt exactly be bonsai, but it would stay the same size. My mango tree is potted, the pot is about 8- 10 inches in diameter and the tree is 7-8 ft tall. for images of the tree and its condition, go to http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=77317#post77317
    the tree now has no leaves above window level. is it possible to make it stay at around 6ft without continually having to prune it?

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's not really practical, and of course you'd have to cut the fruit off very early as you can't have fruit the size of a small football on a little bonsai tree!

3. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

most of the mango farms here keep their trees no more than 15-20 feet. i know thats bigger than you want but i think 6/7 feet is doable. i think the problem would be putting it in a standard 8' ceiling and getting the lights above it. green house or higher ceilings i would say yes.

i have tried real bonsai with mango and they do not like their roots mucked with too much. tying down branches and pruning will give you a nice shrub though!

apple mangos may work better (the smaller red ones compared to the gigantic yellow ones).

4. snu

snu Member

According to this site http://www.mangotreeman.com/mango_trees.htm (which I have found quite useful despite of it's appearance) mangoes are great for bonzai, just stay off the roots.

I'm growing a mango tree from a Kent seed. I know i should cut off the growing tip to make it grow a branch. Does anybody have a picture what the growing tip should look like when I should cut it? Is it too early to cut a mango when it's 20cm high, after the first rapid growing period?

5. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

well mango trees usually get "pruned" aka almost cut down after tehy produce fruit. i am not sure how good an idea it is to pruen such a small one, i have in the past and it survived. i would personally do it at the beginning of the growing season. i say this so that it can grow once pruned instead of sitting dormant with little leaves and an open wound. probably fine either way though.

and ya, the roots can be sensitive, so just prune/train branches and you are set.

6. rowenaravenclaw

rowenaravenclaw Member

''It's not really practical, and of course you'd have to cut the fruit off very early as you can't have fruit the size of a small football on a little bonsai tree!''

''most of the mango farms here keep their trees no more than 15-20 feet. i know thats bigger than you want but i think 6/7 feet is doable. i think the problem would be putting it in a standard 8' ceiling and getting the lights above it. green house or higher ceilings i would say yes.

i have tried real bonsai with mango and they do not like their roots mucked with too much. tying down branches and pruning will give you a nice shrub though!

apple mangos may work better (the smaller red ones compared to the gigantic yellow ones).''

I'm not reallylooking to grow fruit- it's not given any yet, we've had it about 7 yrs adn we'v not even got flowers, but we dont mind. it's only an indoor pot, though, that's probably why. i live near the sea, could it be dying because of lack of heat?