Tecoma stans

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by srk5cats, Jun 11, 2008.

1. srk5cats

srk5cats Member

This is a HUGE clump of blossoms. The hummingbirds enjoy these. My Orange Jubilee produces a lot of seedpods. It is about 7 feet tall right now even though I cut it to the ground every spring, but it grows back like a weed. I do not water it very much, either. As the excerpt below states, I can believe it would easily become invasive.

"The perennial shrub Tecoma stans is known by the common English names Yellow Trumpetbush, Yellow Bells (geelklokkies in Afrikaans), "Yellow Elder" and ginger-thomas. It has many Spanish names as well, including esperanza, which is Spanish for "hope." It is native to South and Central America, north to Mexico and the southwestern United States. It has been introduced to several other regions, including southern Africa, the Philippines and Hawaii.It has become a nuisance weed on several Pacific islands, especially in French Polynesia where it is called piti.

The plant produces pods containing yellow seeds with papery wings. The plant is desirable fodder when it grows in fields grazed by livestock.

The leaves and roots of the plant contain bioactive compounds, especially monoterpenes, which may have medicinal uses.

It readily colonizes disturbed, rocky, sandy, and cleared land and occasionally becomes an invasive weed."
    From Wikipedia

'Orange Jubilee', a popular hybrid, has orange flowers and produces very few seedpods. This selection is a hybrid with orange flowers and few seed pods growing to 8-10' tall and wide. Orange flowers appear all throughout the warm season. Will die back in areas with heavy freeze, but will resprout in the spring. Zone 7

From April through November, large clusters of trumpet-shaped yellow flowers attract hummingbirds. These flowers are followed by long, narrow seedpods that are somewhat messy. In frost-free areas, this plant can become a small treeIn warm microclimates it remains mostly evergreen, but in colder locations it will drop some foliage.

www.mswn.com/MSWNmasterplantlist T.htm

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can I guess that this was intended for the BPotD submissions area?

3. srk5cats

srk5cats Member

Sorry Daniel, I'm stupid. I'm not a botonist, just an artist and gardener. Please tell me how to submit my photos. I've taken some of the ruellia today.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No need to berate yourself! You did just fine - only thing was you posted in the Forum Info and Announcements section instead of the BPotD submissions section. I moved it over, though.

Here's the BPotD Submissions section, where you'll want to submit via the "New Thread" button.