Something is eating my tree leaves

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Satodog, May 27, 2006.

1. Satodog

Satodog Member

Hi,

I have several maple trees in my back yard whose leaves are being eaten. I have seen 1 or 2 small green inch worms, but I have not been able to recognize the type. I have also noticed a large amount of tiny little black dots ( like small black seeds) all over my car and furniture. I dont know what to do. I am cleaning the deck every other day because of the large amount of black dots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

black dots likely = frass, aka bug poop. The inchworms sound like a looper of some sort, around here I would say bruce spanworm would be the likely culprit, it may be the same little beast out your way. BtK is a good control product but depending on the cycle it may be too late to spray for this season. consider tanglefoot paste in the fall and BtK next spring about the middle to end of april.

3. Satodog

Satodog Member

Thank you for the information.

4. wiska

wiska Member

I also noticed a tree like that in my area, and the tree they where on will never look the same.