Another CHC question. Size of chips?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by burly, Mar 27, 2007.

1. burly

burly Member

I was wondering about what size of chip to purchase.
    Looks like I have a choice of:
    fine up to 1/4 inch expands 3 times
    small 1/4-1/2 inch " "
    medium 1/2-3/4 inch " "
    large 3/4- 2 inch " "

thanks,
    Mike

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have purchased all three sizes, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch and 1 inch. All three sizes have a use depending on the size of the transplant. Generally I use a 50:50 blend of 1/2 inch and 1 inch. The actual growing medium is made up of 4 parts CHC blend and 1 part peat moss. Added into the final mix are STEM trace minerals, dolomite, and Osmocote slow release fertilizer. Do you understand that CHC's have to be properly processed before you can use them on citrus? The only company that I am aware of the soaks, rinses, compress and dries the chips before they are bagged is the Crystal Company of Saint Louis, MO. USA. Even then I still process them again before use to be sure all the salts have been removed.

Millet

3. burly

burly Member

Thanks for the tips Millet.

It looks like a good idea to add more than 1 size in the mix. The literature says they are washed, but it would be probably be wise to prepare them properly.
    There is a place near Toronto that I can order from, if I don't find any here.

I will look for the osmocote, but I think it is only available in the USA. We have a similar fertilizer here called Smartcote, I will look at the ratios. Not sure about the dolomite but it sounds like limestone. Also the STEM may be at the garden centres here.

Mike

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dolomite comes from deposits of Calcium Carbonate (Limestone) that contain "impurities" of magnesium. The chemical formula is CaMg(CO3)2 Calcium Magnesium Carbonate. Therefore, dolomite supplies both the nutrients calcium and magnesium, and in the proper ratio. - Millet