Grape vines not producing grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Daniel Mosquin, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a grape vine (climber type) on the sun facing side of the house, in England. I have seen light burr (flowers) on the plant every year, but do not see the formation of any grapes. What can I do get some grape from this grape tree.

Your advice is appreciated

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

In a similar posting, I touched upon the fact that there are different types of grapes found in this world..............there are ornamentals, such as Crimson Glory Vine (Vitis coignetiae) which are intended to climb and have beautiful colors, and there are fruit producers, known as common grapes (Vitis vinifera) which flower and produce grapes when conditions are favorable.

Here is the link to that above mentioned discussion:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1890

If your particular vine is an ornamental, you will most-likely never see a cluster of grapes for as long as you or the vine shall live!

However, if your particular vine is supposed to be a producer, you could have potential environmental problems, mineral deficiencies, inadequate sunlight, water, and the list goes on and on.

If you are convinced that your vine is a producer, let the forum know, and perhaps someone can aid you in alleviating the problem.

T. Shane Freeman