Hydrangea-when to transplant?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by monkeydog, Jan 10, 2009.

1. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

We have a blue hydrangea (not sure what variety) that is probably 20 years old. My wifes granny had it for 10 years and then it was transplanted to our place. The plant blooms well in the summer, however, it is ony 2 feet tall and maybe 2 feet around. The plant has maintained that size and not grown at all in at least 7 years.

The plant is in a bed under a very large cherry tree. I know the hydrangeas like shade, however this location gets no direct sunlight at all, it's always shaded. So we are thinking of moving it to a location where it would get some morning sun in hopes that perhaps it will help it grow some.

When is the best time to transplant a hydrangea of this age without damaging it? it is an apparantly healthy plant, it just won't exceed it's 2 foot stature. Appreciate any thoughts Y'all might have.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Move between fall and spring when leafless.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Some Hydrangea are not big plants. I have a variety here from huge old pale mop top type flowers that are practicaly trees down to a delicate one that has very fine stems and small very bright purple heads, This small one has stayed the same no matter where I have planted cuttings. I am on very suitable acid, deep volcanic soil. We are noted for Hydrangea in this location. Why don't you leave it where it is and next time you prune (winter) take some cuttings. They are very easy to grow.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/propagation.html

I tend to use older wood with a several buds on them and stick them into a sandy potting mix and keep damp. After about 2 to 3 month plenty of roots and they can be planted out.

Liz

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Even though Hydrangeas are considered a shade plant I think they do better with some MORNING sun. I have had some that did not flower at all in too much shade and I have seen them in almost full sun doing beautifully as long as they get enough moisture. I would move it. How big was it at "granny's" house?

5. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. In answer to your question, levilyla...when the plant was at Granny's it was probably twice the size it is now. It went through a period of a couple years when it came here where it got dramatically cut back, rather than properly pruned. The plant has not been cut at all in the last seven years, but it just has'nt grown back at all.

I'm hoping that moving it to a location with some morning sun will help as it doesn't get any at all in it's present location. We know people just up the road from us that have hydrangeas in the yard with full sun up until noon and they seem to thrive like that. But now, is it possible that the plant could have suffered irrepairable harm from the dramatic cuttings it recieved years ago? Could it have stunted the poor thing?

6. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

In my opinion it should have come back before 7 years so I think it must be the location.

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Here is another option, take cuttings now, and start as many new plants as you can handle. I have had great success planting the cuttings directly into moist shady soil, and blooming plants the following year. Just cut and plant 20 - 30cm stems!

8. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Thank you all for your replies. I believe I am going to go ahead and move the plant. May take a few cuttings as well, after it's established in it's new home. As it's January right now, would it be best to wait till warmer weather to move, as long as I do it before leaves form? Also, any hydrangea specific tips for transplanting? (Any particularities I should be aware of)

Thanks again!

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

any time i've moved either of the two that i have, it's taken a couple years for them to get resituated and then they took off...since yours hasn't rebounded, i'd say it needs a new spot.

if it's right under the tree, then the roots are competing for nutrients and moisture and losing. i learned that the hard way myself when i transplanted one the neighbor was kind enough to give me...

and yours may be too shaded, as well.

i'd move it to a spot where it gets morning sun and then is shaded (either dappled or full) from the hot afternoon sun. i'd wait until early spring to move it though...not sure what zone you're in...here in 6b, i'd move it in april.

10. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Thanks joclyn, I had'nt thought about the tree taking nutrients away. I'd say you're exactly right about the hydrangea fighting a losing battle. We are in zone 7a, so I'm thinking early april as well for transplanting.

Thanks again to all for your help!

11. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would start cuttings now, and plant where protection will aid the growth spurt before the spring... Hydrangea paniculata should be very hardy in your zone 7a?

I am no expert, but a head start is always worth the effort.

12. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

If it is blue it would not be paniculata. Most likely macrophllya Nikko or one of those that bloom on old wood.