Mexican Fan Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Doris, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Doris

Doris Member

Hi there.

I bought some Mexican Fan Palm seeds early last year. They have been growing steadily on my window sills all over the house until now. Some are about 12 inches tall and others maybe 18 inches with up to four leaves. There are a couple that are producing their first 'fans' from the centre.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it is ok to plant them out in the garden now? And if so, what conditions they prefer. I'm afraid the seeds didn't come with instructions!

Many thanks.

Doris.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

If you bought Washingtonia robusta, i dont think you will ever be able to grow them outside, if by some chance you have Washingtonia filifera (the hardier of the two) then it would be worth a try in a sheltered position in the garden (south facing aspect with the protection of a wall). The more tender palms will need at least 3 feet of trunk before you should consider planting outside.

3. Doris

Doris Member

Hi Oscar, thank you for your reply. You know, I'm really not sure which of the two varieties I have. I bought them from someone on Ebay and although the transaction went well and the seeds have grown well, they came with no instructions or other literature. So I'm pretty much in the dark. Do you know if there is a way of telling which variety these plants are? I'm sure that the seller did state that these were hardy plants that could withstand a British winter but typically I cannot remember who the seller is now.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Doris.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

Once they have some adult leaves its quite easy to tell the two apart, filifera has fine, white thread like bits on the edges of the leaves (its easy when you have seen the two together :D)

http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/

Washingtonia robusta (hardy to -5°C) tall slender trunk to 98'
    Washingtonia filifera (hardy to -8°C) thicker trunk to 60'

5. Doris

Doris Member

Hi again.

Thank you for that information. You've been a great help.

Take care now

Doris.