Identification: Mushrooms in my yard

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ddog, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Ddog

Ddog Member

hi everyone....i have recently discovered many large types of mushrooms in my yard and i do believe that a few are Boletes and would like to know if i can eat these. However i do not know how to post pictures of them so if anyone can help me please let me know on here or u can email me at daryll@shaw.ca and i would to send you some of these pics..thank-you...cheers.....Daryll

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Ddog,

I advise against eating any plant or mushroom if you are not positive of the identification. Mushrooms can be very difficult to distinguish and you could be seriously poisoned with just a taste.

Here are the instructions for attaching images:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=725

3. Ddog

Ddog Member

I know that mushrooms can be deadly but only a few Boletes are, and none of the Boletes with yellow underneath are deadly

4. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

I agree about making sure it is identified correctly. I'm sure there is a Mushroom society near by that could help you and a lot of good books. There are precautions to take when eating any new mushroom that a good book will talk about. The bad news about a lot of the very common boletes in this area that, while they are not poisonous, they also don't have much flavor at all. Unfortunately a large percentage of mushrooms aren't poisonous but they taste bad or just aren't worth eating.

5. CeciliaE

CeciliaE Member

Re: Mushrooms in my yard
    I know nothing about wild mushrooms so you need to speak with a mushroom grower or someone at your local library should be able to advise. I live in a small apartment building in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada. By the end of September each year, there are also small groups of wild mushrooms growing in back yard behind this building. These are tall and narrow mostly. I remember as a child being taught by my parents never to eat wild mushrooms. Oh, well.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think the Vancouver Mycological Society just had an event this past weekend at VanDusen - not that it helps much now, but I'm guessing there would've been somewhere there to identify it.