can I leave my cactus outside?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chester, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I was wondering if I can leave my beloved peanut cactus outside for the winter? I've left other cacti outside successfully (zone 8 I believe), and have been told by other forum members that it needs to be kept cool through the winter. Not having a cool place inside I tucked it up against the house where it is dry and light. So far so good, but winter hasn't even begun yet...

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't think that one is very frost-tolerant. You should move it into a frost-free area before it gets much colder, as is usual in October there has already been some frost in some places.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I was afraid of that, hence the question. It came in last night as it was a clear night. I'd like to give it that cool period through the winter so that maybe, just maybe, I'll get some flowers. Well thanks for the tip.

ps I'm putting it, and it's unidentified lookalike outside for the daytime. They look better since they've been outside. I only purchased them 1 and 2 months ago, and they looked quite 'soft' and floppy. What I won't do for the @#$n peanut cactus...