Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' or 'Shirazz'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, Jun 2, 2007.

1. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'

Acer palm. 'Shirazz'

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Re: Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'

I like this. How does the color hold?

3. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Location Image: Boskoop, the Netherlands

Picture (2) = Acer palmatum 'Shirazz' TM (Syn: Acer palmatum ‘Gwen’s Rose Delight’)

'Maple that must be grown in full sun to obtain the subtle red wine coloured foliage at the leaf margins, with pale jade green centres divided by rivened seams of white.'

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Curiously, I thought someone had already posted this cultivar but I could not find the thread. Hmmmm!!

Anyway acer palmatum 'Shirazz' (apparently also known as 'Gwen's Rose Delight') is a New Zealand-raised cultivar, recently introduced, with strongly marked variegated foliage with an unusual combination of green and cream with a strong pink edge and overall pink, or better Bordeaux wine, flush.
    The tree sees morning sun and is in a large pot. The pictures were taken end of June. The last pic shows the new growth.
    It is certainly one of the most interesting new cultivars I have seen. Truly different and highly recommended.

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

gomero, thanks for sharing those great pictures. I had not heard of
    Shirazz. Is this cultivar available in the US, do you know?
    Thanks.

6. Gomero

Katsura,

You ask the wrong person ;o))

Here in Europe it is not widely available. Most of my usual suppliers do not offer it. I stumbled upon a nice 1.5 m (4-5 ft) plant at a large Garden Center here, where I live. They told me they got it from their German wholesale supplier.
    I know this cultivar is patented and perhaps that explains it.

Gomero

7. mattlwfowler

I've looked online and haven't come across anything in the US. I'm not sure that it has been imported yet, but hopefull it will be soon.

8. bgrunfeld

bgrunfeld Member

I know that Acer P Shirazz is on US soil. It has been imported and has gone through the first quarintine. It will be first available the fall of 07 spring of 08. Start asking you local independent garden centers for it. I have seen them and they look fanastic.
    Good luck!

9. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

thank you,bgrunfeld, for your follow up and advice. I will do just as you say.
    many thanks

10. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I picked up a tree today marked acer shirazz. I am try to find info on how big and how much sun it should get.

Mike

11. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

I got a 4' AP Shirazz today at a Tallahassee nursery. They said it came from North Carolina . I was impressed with the multicolar varigation. since it is a varigated maple I'm going to give it morning sun and noontime on shade.

12. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I bought my tree this winter. It is in full sun

Krautz

Attached Files:

13. blamb

blamb Member

I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee and have a spot in my front yard that gets 9 hours of full sun. I was wondering if the Shirazz would do well there. It is a beautiful little tree and I have found one at a local garden center, but am a little nervous about putting it out where it will get so much sun. I do have an irrigation system set up, so it would get nightly water to help it recover.

14. Gomero

This is a very recent introduction and there is not enough feedback from enthusiasts (propagators snub the forum) to answer your question. Try it and, whether it works or not, let us know.

Gomero

15. shrubs

shrubs Member

Hi, I may be able to help with a few questions on Acer palmatum 'Shirazz' TM.

This tree in Oregon is taking full sun to part shade. It does not have burn problems here and we are finding that it is not having sunburn problems in the South. Of course, if you are giving it reflective sun you will have problems with sunburn, yet that is true with most Japanese Maples. This tree is in production in the South, North East, Midwest and in the Northwest. We are not finding that it will be much different then other Japanese Maples such as Bloodgood in how it preforms in the landscape.

The leaves will come out purple with a pink margin in the spring fading to a green with a white margin in the summer and then turning a nice pinkish purple in the fall. The new growth in the summer will also be purple with a pink margin on top of the green with white margin mature foliage. We are noticing that this tree leafs out a week or so later then most other Japanese Maples in the Northwest.

Any other questions, please ask.

16. mattlwfowler

Indeed it does leaf out later. And from what I've heard it does take quite a good deal of sun without too much burn, but I will personally wait and see how it performs in the nursery before I give my experience on that. Personally I wouldn't take the risk of putting any $200+ JM in full sun in my area (including Bloodgood and the sorts), but I suppose most of them do survive.

17. blamb

blamb Member

Well, I have gotten brave and bought the Shirazz.... It will get full Tennessee sun, so I will let you know how it does. For the moment, it is absolutely beautiful!!

18. Dendo

Dendo Member

Acer Palmatum is a nice plant but has a tendancy to put out a normal branch once in a while that should be trimmed off .

Dennis Dodge
    Bethlehem Nursery
    CT

19. esteve59

esteve59 Member

Dennis,
    By "normal" I assume you mean a branch that does not posess the characterististics of the true caltivar,,,i.e. varigation etc...
    I have two trees with this phenomonon this year....
    Do they always have to be cut off ??
    or have you ever heard of such a branch reverting back to the original trees characteristics..??
    Thanks,
    Steve

20. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some cultivars do put out branches that change later, with those you don't want to cut off what seems at first to be the wrong type of leaves. You can tell what to do with a particular plant by watching it for a few years. If an aberration stays that way for too long then it needs to be pruned out.

Note that 'Gwen's Rose Delight' is the cultivar name. Shirazz is a trademark (used to sell the cultivar 'Gwen's Rose Delight') rather than a cultivar name, and is therefore not presented in single quotes.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=PP18728.PN.&OS=PN/PP18728&RS=PN/PP18728

21. esteve59

esteve59 Member

Hi,
    I know its been awhile since your post....
    How is your 'Shirazz' doing ? does it hold the color in the full sun...
    I live in MD and thinking about buying one...

Thanks,
    Steve

22. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note again that it's not 'Shirazz' but rather Shirazz TM. One practice that makes it more clear which plant is being talked about is indicating both the trademark and the cultivar at the same time, as in Shirazz TM = 'Gwen's Rose Delight'. Although it does not appear to be usual with trees theoretically more than one cultivar might be offered under the Shirazz trademark.

Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (1996, Ten Speed, Berkeley) also included patent numbers and the year the patent was issued in his headings for each patented variety. So the introduction being discussed here, if it had been old enough to appear in that work would have been listed as something like A. palmatum Shirazz TM PP 18728 (2008) = 'Gwen's Rose Delight'. In addition to being complete this approach was useful because it made it easy to find patented varieties on the USPTO web site, using the patent number search box.

23. Gomero

Ron,

Thank you for the info & link

Gomero

24. blamb

blamb Member

Well after a summer in full sun, my Shirazz has been quite unhappy. The top leaves showed a good deal of burn while the lower leaves did ok. Our summer here was quite miserable with drought conditions, however, I have an irrigation system and the little tree received plenty of water. I am considering moving it in the next few weeks to a shadier location. I was wondering if I should expect better results the second summer after my tree has had a year to adapt to the sun. Any thoughts before I start digging would be appreciated.

Thanks!

25. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

I bought two this summer and planted one in a shadier place and the other one in more sun and I had the same results as the one you had in the sun. A lot of leaf burn on the upper leaves but the lower leaves were fine and I waterd quite a bit to make sure that it was getting adequate water. The one I planted in the more shade did awesome, its pinks and reds almost looked like it made a purple hue to it. So I dug up the one in the sun and moved it to more shade to see what happens this year.