Deer ate all leaves from my NEW Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sandcastle11, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sandcastle11

sandcastle11 Member

I planted a Rainier Cherry Tree 3 days ago. It is about 5 or 6 ft tall. The next night, deer completely defoliated the tree and broke a few of the branches. I have splinted the branches that look like they were not a total loss, but without any leaves (I think there may be one or two leaves left) will the tree survive. Also, any suggestions on what to use to deter the deer from doing this again to this or other trees. They already ate the lower leaves on my Lapin Cherry, but seem to be ignoring my young peach and pear trees.

Attached Files:

2. colins1979

colins1979 Member

Deers are a big problem from where i am especialy those little jack monk deers. They just love eating new shoots and will totaly destroy a whole garden comming into bloom.

There are various deer freindly options available.

Human Urine - They do not like this and will stay away.
    Very low thickness fishing wire. Just one lengh acroos an access point. Stong enough for them to feel it and spook them but easy enough to snap.

Thanks
    Csmith

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  3. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

I know that many farmers in Europe use urine and solid waste of animals as natural fertilizers as they contain phosphor and other nutritients plants like. The advise of Colins is a good one, as it nurtures the tree probably. It will try to develop new leafs immediately. But in between, it will probably get very week, parts of the tree might die. Maybe you should cut some branches to help the tree preserving its remaining strength for the development of new leafs instead of wasting it to maintain all its empty branches, but please double-check with other gardeners what they say.

4. Fen Sandar

Fen Sandar Active Member

If you do not have a fence around it, put one up far enough away that the deer cannot reach your tree from outside of the fence. You could also top this with plastic grocery bags if you have any. The rattling bags generally scare the deer away.

Also works well to keep them out of your veggie gardens and such, although if you do not have and fencing you could just put up lines of grocery bags secured by poles at about the same distance. Depending on the type of deer you have and relative stature, you barriers may need to be different heights/several heights.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You really can't do any serious gardening in deer country unless you install and maintain effective fencing.

And they do love cherry trees.

6. CHARIJI

CHARIJI Member

Put up stucco wire all the way around the tree, far enough away so the deer can't reach the branches. Most commercially sold deer deterrents do not work! Try making your own with an egg, the hottest pepper sauce you can find-(3 tbsps) , perfume (a few drops-they hate that)--mix all together with hand beater/whisk and put in a gallon sprayer. Spray this on anything you value.--seems to last through rain too-reapply q 2-3 wks