Small tree for balcony, Vancouver

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by torbie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. torbie

torbie Active Member

Hi there! I'm on a second floor balcony, south, southwest exposure. I'm wondering what types of trees would be happy to grow here? I'd have to haul it home myself, so I'm looking at one that is on the smaller size starting out.

I'm not sure if a Japanese Maple is an idea, or how hardy they are. But hardy is good. There is a slightly sheltered area in the north corner, where it would still get plenty of sun, but some protection from the winds.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

How big of a tub? How big do you want the tree to become? Freezing of the roots is always a factor to be dealt with with container stock overwintering without protection. On a balcony the container will have no contact with the warmth in the soil, not even through the bottom.

3. torbie

torbie Active Member

Small'ish? I'd be carrying every thing home, by bus. I can do it 3 in stages.. tub, soil, tree. Or by cab. I'd consider one already potted up and ready to go.

It doesn't need to become huge, or even large. Whatever would be the best set up for the tree. It could be 1' high.. 2' high...starting out.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

How big when it is up to the size you see in your head as the fully developed specimen?

5. torbie

torbie Active Member

Hmm...3 -4 feet? Maybe 5 tops!

6. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

How about a Norfolk Pine, they can be bought small, hey are slow growing so they don't have to be repotted for many years, I've had one in the same pot for 10 years. They are easy to move in and out, you may need to keep on your northside of yur balcony since they prefer filtered sunlight, nothing to direct.

7. torbie

torbie Active Member

Thanks for your reply MannieBoo!

The only problem (darn!) that while being in north corner, it will still get some direct light from the south, in the afternoon and then a bit before the sun sets. Maybe I should say it's a north wall.... facing south. How intolerant are they to direct sun?

I love pines! But.. I wouldn't get one if this isn't a good spot.

8. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

If it's late in the afternoon, say after 3:00 then a little direct sun shouldn't hurt it, the sun is usually at it's strongest between 10 am and 3 pm. If tis works for you, also remember that they like moist soil, I water mine weekly, and I don't let the soil get dry.

9. torbie

torbie Active Member

I don't think it's going to work....it will get cooked in the mid day sun. They are lovely trees! I googled it and I see some people grow them indoors! My 6 cats would love that ;)

Thanks again for your reply, I'll have to keep looking around for now. I am lucky that there are a few huges pines that are across on the lot next door, but the branches are almost right onto my balcony :) I'll see if I can find a pic ... here's one from yesterday.. two new (nosey!) visitors. One big branch started dying off last year, unfortunately :(

Attached Files:

10. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Thats to bad about not being able to grow it outside, here's a pic of mine that I've been growing inside, I only have 1 cat and she doesn't bother with it, at least when I'm in the room. Hope you can find something to grow.

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      112.8 KB
      Views:
  11. torbie

torbie Active Member

Nice tree! My plants are up high out of reach of little paws and teeth :)

I'm sure I'll find something.. I want to take my time and get a tree that I hopefully won't kill from ignorance! :)