October 17-18, 2015
$4 entry - cash only (Children 12 years and under free)
Please note - no dogs are permitted on the festival grounds, with the exception of working service animals.
A family event for all ages, the UBC Apple Festival celebrates one of British Columbia's favourite fruits. From children learning about the diversity of apples to those who remember tasting heritage apples in their youth, the Apple Festival is a great opportunity to not only discover more about this delicious fruit, but have a whole lot of fun doing it!
Apples and Apple Tree Cultivars for Sale
- This year, around 50,000 lbs (22,680 kilos) of apples are sold to thousands of apple lovers.
- More than 70 varieties of heritage, new and "tried and true" varieties are available, grown both conventionally and organically.
- Heritage apples 'Grimes Golden' ‘Bramley's Seedling’, ‘Cox’s Orange Pippin’ and many others will be on sale; also new varieties like the very popular ‘Ambrosia’ which was hybridized in Cawston, British Columbia, and Salish which was introduced in 2012.
- 100 or more varieties of Apple trees grafted onto dwarfing root stock, perfect for the home garden or patio, will be available.
- Pears and Quince will also be available in limited amounts.
Apple Tasting Tent
One of the most popular activities at the Apple Festival is our apple tasting tent located on the Main Lawn.
- 60 varieties of new and heritage apples grown in British Columbia.
- Friends of the Garden "published in-house" Apple Booklet, available for purchase at the event listing the history, propagation needs and features of more than 100 varieties.
- Tasting sessions from 11:00am to 3:30pm Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets $5.00 available outside the tasting tent
- Please note that not all the apples in the tasting tent will be available for sale due to very limited availability of some heritage varieties.
2014 List of Apples Available at Tasting Tent - 2015 list will be published in October
Displays and Demonstrations
Also at the event is The Vancouver Island-based BC Fruit Testers Association hosts a physical display of the nearly 200 apple varieties that are still grown in British Columbia.
- Demonstrations of grafting and cider-pressing.
- Apple ID - Try to stump the experts with apple varieties from your garden (hint: bring along six apples from your unidentified tree).
- Master Gardeners will be available to discuss apple and fruit tree-related diseases and pest management for those seeking problem-solving advice.
At any time of the year, don’t forget you can visit UBC Botanical Garden's online Fruit Trees discussion forum for more help!
Food Fair & Craft Vendors
Located on the Main Lawn near the Tasting Tent
- Apple pies, candy apples, hot apple cider and apple chips
- Hot and cold food cart vendors
- Craft and gift items
Entertainment & Children's Area
- Activity stations ranging from face painting and games to storytelling and puppet shows.
- Stomp in the giant leaf pile!
- Check out our apple-themed scarecrows!
This is a great place to spend some fun time with your children (children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times).Talented and well-known entertainers to keep the family amused will include family-friendly shows on the Main stage and zany Morris Dancers. Look for signs around the festival with the entertainment schedule posted or check it out ahead of time below.
2014 Entertainment Schedule - 2015 list to be published in the fall
2014 Entertainer Biographies - 2015 list to be published in the fall
(2014 Entertainment schedule and biography to be added as soon as it is confirmed in the fall)
Attractions at the Garden
Be sure to spend some time exploring our beautiful Botanical Garden
- Take a “walk in the trees” on our treetop Canopy Walkway.
- The Shop in the Garden features an exciting array not only of apple-related merchandise but also tools, books and gifts.
- Our Garden Centre has a wide variety of fruit and ornamental trees and hundreds of plants for your garden.
Rates & Event Information
Admission is $4 for adults (children 12 years and under free), and includes FREE ENTRY TO THE GARDEN!
This event is brought to you by the Friends of the UBC Botanical Garden. All proceeds from this event support the educational, research and community programs in the Garden – your support helps the Garden to Grow.
A FREE Bike Valet will be available at the main entrance and there is a FREE shuttle bus from the UBC Campus West Parkade.
Please be advised that dogs are not permitted in UBC Botanical Garden. Hope to see you there!
For general information, call 604-822-4529.
Katie Teed Senior Manager, Marketing and Communication | UBC Botanical Garden including Nitobe Memorial Garden
Phone 604 834 8646
email@example.com Note: Please do not contact Katie regarding applications to sell your products at Apple Festival or general questions about the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org